Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, been lurking here for a while. Fantastic site. I have a few newbie ?
I was at an antique show today. A lady with a table had a bunch of military stuff mixed in with the regular antique stuff. She got the military stuff thrown in at an estate sale. Most was USA but some was Japanese. I bought a stack of pictures of I’m guessing the Philippines. Beach landings, Japanese POWs, and buildings in a war torn area. I also bought an old green Japanese cap with a yellow star on a green patch sewed on the front. No other markings on it. I didn’t pay much maybe it’s a fake. Should it have some kind of makers mark on it?
She also has a green Japanese helmet with no liner and no star. It has holes in front where something was mounted. Some other small holes on the sides. There’re some small rings on the inside. Somebody painted some brown dots on it like camo. That paint doesn’t look old but the helmet does. She’s asking $80 for the helmet. I’m not an expert on Japanese items and have no way of telling if it’s a fake. Anyone want to help a newbie out. Is there anything like a stamping I can look for? Maybe $80 is worth a gamble.
Thanks for any and all help,
Jeff

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
Welcome aboard RM. Does it have four vent holes in the top? If so, sounds like a Type 90. With more than one hole in the front, could be a Thai rework. I personally wouldn't bother, unless you can get it for MUCH less. Loose, original liners are hard to come by. Then it will need a device on front. And then, there's the paint issue... Pictures would help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks trenchwarfare. I did some searches and think it is a Type 90 it did have small holes on top. I think I'll pass on it. I'll try and post pictures of the cap if I can figure out how. Another newbie question. The rings on the inside of the helmet for the liner on a type 90 are they always round?

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,217 Posts
The rings on the inside of the helmet for the liner on a type 90 are they always round?
Yes, it should have three round rings for the tie tapes. Here's the interior of a complete helmet.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,217 Posts
You're welcome.
I might add that the helmet I posted above is a fairly late example where each of the leather sections was made of three pieces of leather. Earlier examples were one piece like this one.

One more note - the white character indicates size. It is also stamped into the metal and pinpricked into the leather band. The first one above is "large" and this one is "small"

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts