Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello There!

I Just registered because I've got some questions regarding a pair of M28's that I acquired from a local farmer this week...I had to spread a ton of mulch to get 'em! I am familiar with Finnish Mosin Nagants and currently have several different models in my collection.Finnish M39 (VKT 44), Finnish (Tikka 44) 91/30, Finnish (SA) marked 91 Dragoon (1926 Ishevsk), and now these M28's.
The first is a Sig Barrelled (1927 date) w/ 1st design nosecap in the 9000 serial range. AZF / OE WG marked receiver. Two piece stock with Tula star on butt and marked 1931 (?) without "SYT" in the finger groove. No additional spring on trigger and no relief cut for said spring in the stock.
The second is a Tikka barrelled w/ second design nosecap in the 24000 serial range. Double =S= on rt side receiver makes it post 1930. But this one is sitting in a one piece "Ski Trooper" stock with double sling eyes (no "SYT"). Additional spring is present on trigger as is the relief cut in the stock.
As you can see, some details are present which are not what I would expect to see on these models, or am I mistaken?
The main reason for my inquiry is as follows:
The rear sight on the Tikka is marked down the right side with "3,4,5 1/2,7,8 1/2 and the Russian markings on the left side are not lined out.
And now the kicker...
The rear sight on the other has the Russian marks lined out and the markings on the right (3,4,5 1/2,7,8 1/2) HAVE ALSO BEEN LINED OUT AND OVERSTAMPED WITH 2,3,4,5,6,8...THIS HAS ME BAFFLED! I can find no reference to these calibrations anywhere.
This is a great forum you have and if anyone knows, it'll be someone here!
PS- I need an upper handguard and both band screws for one of these rifles.

THANKS!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,547 Posts
Wow pretty educated already and excellent descriptions too boot, lots of detail! In case you don't know all M28 Finn rifles are evil and should be sent to me for exercizm. After 10 years or so I will send them back to you!

Seriously M28s seem to have no rules that I can see when it comes to correctness/collecting. You may or may not find a whole host of things that are correct and are not correct and in the end the oddities are still correct. These are old rifles and very often were rode hard and put away wet. So any modifications/repairs are possible. I looked at 11 m28s about .5/.5 Sig/Tika barrels. Most were lined out on the left side and restamped on right side of base. About 4 were not lined out on the left. Had none in my collection that had the newer stampings lined out as well.

Serously expect oddities in your M28s, they are the only norm. Many have M27 replacement stocks on them. Have a #9000 Sig with new unissued M27 stock, the oddities of the M28s go on forever. THAT is one of the draws of the rifle. Not much different from the old M91s with orginal barrels on them yet, the history just oozes from them. Down side it is harder to find original condition M28s that have all the right features. They are around but the attrition rate on M28s was great, many of the ones that survived were repaired somewhere with replacement stocks and hardware as time went on. These rifles in my not so humble opinion are very individual with a multitude of odd parts and repairs. Despite the often less than condition of these, it is one of my favorite rifles to collect. The mystique of the Civil Guard history I suppose. Welcome your intelligent questions, wish I had concrete answeres, but not so in my opinion with these and the older M91s.

·
Diamond Member with Oak leaves and Swords
2,934 Posts
I've got a first series SIG that looks too good. It does not have the SYT stamp and the wood is perfect. I wonder since they were Civil Guard and went home with them, were they better cared for by some more than others? The bore was full of dust bunnies when I got it and an oil patch revealed an excellent bore that measures .308-.3085. It's a driiler with D166 out to 300.

·
Silver Bullet member
779 Posts
Consider it this way. An M28 with lined out CG district numbers and sitting in a new, period incorrect (based merely on the date of barrel shank) stock is going to bring slightly less coin than one in a stock that appears correct/original and hadn't been handed from district to district or refurbed pre/post-war.

Right now the Finn prices confuse me because no one seems to care about the above things. I've jumped out of the Finn game and into the Eastern Bloc countries, only partly because of this - although my Finn'd SVT will never leave my possession. Oh, and everyone's got to have an M39!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,547 Posts
I have a few that are probably pretty close to origiinal and in good shape to boot, but I have no way of knowing for sure? John, I question how many went home with the CG after the war. I think the CG was disbanded so to speak and the equipment became Finn Army property? I may be wrong about this and a few other things too while I am at it. Cheers, John.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Clusters and Swords
1,595 Posts
In case you don't know all M28 Finn rifles are evil and should be sent to me for exercizm. After 10 years or so I will send them back to you!
I believe Handsome Devil knows what he's talking about, he should, as many "representative Samples" as he seems to have. :thumbsup: but he doesn't know anything about exorcising those rifles, "ten years" HA! in order to get rid of that evil, those rifles should be permanently locked away in my safe, PM me for the shipping information.

Seriously though, they sound like some really nice additions to your collection.

My "Tikka" M28 has both sets of #'s on the sight neither is lined out, the Civil Guard # has been lined out on barrel and bolt and renumbered though, and then again, because their was no room left on either side of the barrel, it was renumbered on the receiver and bolt the third time. The good news, I'm pretty sure that since the bolt was numbered each time to match, that it is original to the rifle. :)

I'm sure mine was rearsenaled because the bluing is 99-100% but the stock (no SYT in the fingergroove) has that been there done that look, that being said it's in really good condition compared to others I've seen, and the bore, WOW!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My M28 is a late nutwood, with bluing having been arsenal reblued, first serial numbers have been struck out and new five digit stamped on, barrel shank is SY/D with the small s on the passenger side, numbers on the sight have been struck and re-numbered. All in all not much to look at but, lots of history and fits very nice between the M27 and 28/30! Got to love em!-SDH

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, Thanks for the inputs and the warm welcome...
Yes, I am indeed of Scandinavian descent (not Finnish..Norwegian!) but their rifles are just too darned expensive! Somehow, through a curiosity towards Northern European history, I've grown an affinity (a--FINN--ity! HA!) for these artifacts which have borne witness to the will of a nation to defend itself using any means possible in order to maintain their independence. Notwithstanding the fact that they did not succeed, it was certainly not through a lack of ingenuity and determination...

On another note...Stumbled upon a Finnish Luger at gunshop today...Oh %&$* !
See Ya!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts