Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm brand new to collecting so pardon me if this topic has been discussed or resolved. I've done a fair amount of reading on the topic but can't seem to get a solid read on what exactly I just purchased. :)

I bought a beautiful gun. It's probably the nicest condition I've seen for a Lee Enfield. Seems to have coachwood furniture. All serial numbers match including the one of the back of the site and end of the fore barrel. It's tight as can be. Looks parkerized. Don't see any paint anywhere. The furniture is virtually flawless aside from a few stamps. There's a tiny bit of rust on the inside of the magazine. Otherwise it's damp with oil and pristine. Bolt seems smooth. I am most curious what ya'll think about this rifle and whether you think it will need the recoil plates I've read about. I really want to use this gun regularly. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Can't wait to begin the adventure of collecting old milsur! I have more photos I will attach in another post. Also, I've yet to see a 1945 anywhere online yet...

·
Registered
165 Posts
look up the JJCO NY NY company. I believe thy made ,from new old stock parts, this and other "NEW" firearms. i think they where a police supply company in New York City USA. NICE LOOKER ! and do get the shims.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
View attachment 2321138 View attachment 2321146 View attachment 2321154

They all match A98703. I'm a bit scared (as a newbie) to take it apart to see if it has the shims. I've some posts from guys on here who say not to take them apart unless you absolutely need to. Is there any way to determine if it has the recoil blocks without completely dismantling?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Its a JJCO parts gun. They imported a large number of spare parts and complete rifles into the U.S when Australia sold off their surplus Lee Enfields.

If it was an original 1945 Lithgow it wold have an F prefix.

I doubt it will have recoil plates fitted.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
I too doubt it will have the plates fitted unless someone has already crossed that bridge. If you have decent woodworking skills, a crash course is all you need to get it running. The plates and 'king screw' bushing will be the most critical things to address.
Once you have that behind you, you'll have a gorgeous shooter.

Be patient. No point in wrecking it through being anxious. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
i too own a 1945 lithgow JJCO put together. it is every bit as gorgeous as this one. she does have the recoil plates. OP -- the only way to tell whether the reinforce plates are there i think is to take her apart. i don't know of any other way you could see them. if you do, disassemble from the nosecap backward. leave the buttstock alone until the old girl is naked. when i did this to mine, i then installed a thackray (spring) washer on the stock bolt and eliminated the bolt protrusion.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
You can see them without disassembly...I generally look up through the magazine well, but have been told that they can be spotted from above (bolt out) as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just thought I'd post, that I've now put about 40 rounds through this pristine rifle and it shoots like magic. It was actually fairly accurate and I haven't zeroed it at all. I'm trying to find an adequate range near Boston. I have to go to a meeting first and pay dues....grrrr.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.