Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked one up yesterday at the Timonium Md. show, VG Samco for $179.99 OTD:). I once owned a Chinese SKS and was familiar with that rifle. Unfortunately had to part with it 9 years ago. The Yugo appears to be a slightly different animal. I see this little knob on the end of the gas tube that can be changed into different positions. Has somehing to do with the grenade launcher, I think, channeling gas or something. Could someone explain this? Also, is there a way to get a date on these? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct on the knob as it is for the use of the grenade launcher. Here is a link to decode the year, it goes by the letter in the serial number. http://myweb.cableone.net/gjplbgllc/cannon/yugochart.jpg you may have to cut and paste the link as I cannot remember how to make it clickable on the new site.
Nevermind the cut and paste it looks like the link worked.
Thanks, it looks like mine was a 1972 with the ported launcher. How does the thing with the gas tube work?

·
Registered
827 Posts
I looked up one of mine and it looks like it is a V series ant the serial # starts with a 696 which does not fit in the serial# range they have. It looks like the V series rifles were made in 1985 and not very many were made that year, does that effect value at all?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I got my Yugo M59/66A2 SKS last December I love it but every time I take her out to plink she bleeds the brown menace.....Cosmoline! As you probably already know the Yugoslavian M59/66 is one of the few SKS carbines to not have a chrome lined bore. The integral .22 mm grenade launcher is similiar to that used on the U.S. M-1 Garand. The added length of the grenade launcher makes it the only SKS to not be classified as a carbine, it is instead a rifle by technical specification. Mine can actually hold 11 rounds of 7.62x39 mm ammunition in the original magazine. These also feature a folding blade bayonet and grenade ladder sights. The A1 and A2 models each feature their own form of a tritium night sight. I will post a URL to my SKS' page when I publish my website and you can print off the more in-depth bio I have written for it and that should give you a good education of this weapon. It is a fine specimen and a must for a C&R collector!

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
C&R..... is the marlin 60 that little bolt action 22 that has the flip down front handle?

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
not sure of the model boltaction they have that has the plastic flip down handle, had a friend who had one when we were kids, always wanted one myself.

·
Registered
476 Posts
that would work as a driver. do I use the butt stock as my putter?

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Sorry, Guys...

I checked with the local Country Club when I stopped in to replenish my supply of used golf balls (They get .75 each for the cheapest ones; losing them gets expensive!) and they would have NONE OF IT!!!

A couple of the ol' Duffers hanging around got a chuckle out of the whole idea, though!

With the range that I was getting from some of the more ambitious Russkie blanks, I probably could have driven one right over the green from the "T" on the first shot!

What's the average range on a golf course, anyway?

Don't know much about golf, but sure wish I could find a course with a sense of humor around here...

Have you seen today's topic I just posted on my little Yugoslavian "Driver"?

I'm now loading my own blanks, and experiments yield promising results!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I checked with the local Country Club when I stopped in to replenish my supply of used golf balls (They get .75 each for the cheapest ones; losing them gets expensive!) and they would have NONE OF IT!!!

A couple of the ol' Duffers hanging around got a chuckle out of the whole idea, though!

With the range that I was getting from some of the more ambitious Russkie blanks, I probably could have driven one right over the green from the "T" on the first shot!

What's the average range on a golf course, anyway?

Don't know much about golf, but sure wish I could find a course with a sense of humor around here...

Have you seen today's topic I just posted on my little Yugoslavian "Driver"?

I'm now loading my own blanks, and experiments yield promising results!
Hey, you have to understand that any new sport is met with the same attitude. Use the blank for the first shot, then the butt for driving the ball hom,e. Any suggetions from golfers out there:D

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have an old Mossberg .22 that has a flip down front of the stock. Mossberg made some weird .22 rifles.

Dennis Jenkins

not sure of the model boltaction they have that has the plastic flip down handle, had a friend who had one when we were kids, always wanted one myself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I picked one up yesterday at the Timonium Md. show, VG Samco for $179.99 OTD:). I once owned a Chinese SKS and was familiar with that rifle. Unfortunately had to part with it 9 years ago. The Yugo appears to be a slightly different animal. I see this little knob on the end of the gas tube that can be changed into different positions. Has somehing to do with the grenade launcher, I think, channeling gas or something. Could someone explain this? Also, is there a way to get a date on these? Thanks.
It Cut The Gas Off Went You Move The Little Knob So You Can Fire A Grenade.But You Must Move The Knob Back So It Can Cycle The Rifle.It Uses A NATO Rifle Grenade You Line Up The Back Of The Rifle Grenade Site With The Grenade And Lift Side Is For Small Grenade And Right Side Is For Big Grenades.Hang Around The Gun Store And Ask Question.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts