Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got this Yugo, 1983 manufacture I believe, from Samco yesterday. I paid $279 for an excellent condition SKS, and received this one. I don't see any refurb markings on it, and the stock looks new, not sanded, and it matches. What do you all think?

PS: The log book doesn't match, guess I wasted $10 for it, but they did give me the accessories free, which they were supposed to charge extra for!

AC

·
Banned
540 Posts
It didn't have a letter prefix on the serial number ?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Buddy, I guess it didn't show in the pic. Here it is.

G

·
Just got this Yugo, 1983 manufacture I believe, from Samco yesterday. I paid $279 for an excellent condition SKS, and received this one. I don't see any refurb markings on it, and the stock looks new, not sanded, and it matches. What do you all think?

PS: The log book doesn't match, guess I wasted $10 for it, but they did give me the accessories free, which they were supposed to charge extra for!

AC
To be honst ,on yugo's ,no one realy cares if its a refurb or not . Some guys think so on Russians ,but its more bragging rights than anything .If you shoot it ,its not new ...LOL

One sure sign of refurb is little numbers on the parts . They have lots of zero's . Like this 00000: 0000 .700 .000.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right on the numbers w/000's, vlad. Like on my first one about a month ago...

AC

G

·
Right on the numbers w/000's, vlad. Like on my first one about a month ago...

AC
Mine is a refurbed to new condition. Has a matching log book .Its all stamped matching ,but still has the little 0000 .000 numbers on everything . . Has a couple dings in the wood that were sanded down .Good thing is that they rebarreled it with a new barrel .

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I've read that most M59/66's are refurbed and upgraded M59's. Everty one that I have had seemed to be. Nothing wrong with a "new" refurbed Yugo! I often use the description: "New (or unissued) since its last refurb". DDR

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, with a serial # from 1983, rather late in production, I was wondering if it was in fact new. It sure looks like it, and it is only new once. If it is, I just won't shoot it, and shoot my other one.:)

AC

·
Registered
475 Posts
does the serial number on the gas tube match?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know about that yet. I am new to these, and have yet to attempt to take it apart, which I assume you have to do to check it. Didn't know they were numbered to the gun.:eek:

AC

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Of course it will look new - that is the point of a refurbishment. The piston and cylinder should be numbered matching as well as the bolt and its carrier - with no scrubbing or lineouts. Sometimes new parts were used in refurbs and sometimes they were mixed-numbered, used parts. DDR

·
Registered
840 Posts
What do I think? I think it's gorgeous! Best looking Yugo I've seen...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! I appreciate it. I guess I'll have to take it apart then to know for sure. I thought I might have gotten a new one for an excellent price, they were selling new ones for more money, but were supposedly out of them.

AC

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've actually seen very few that had new, crisp wood. Most have had some amount of sanding done on the wood... uneven finger grooves is the giveaway. Whether new or refurb, I'd give it higher marks simply because of the non sanded wood. Nice rifle, well done.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
That is the best looking Yugo 59/66 I've seen in many years. As others have mentioned it's very hard to find them with non-sanded wood. Does the log book match the rifle? It doesn't appear to in your pic.

G

·
Nice looking for sure .it was probably new .Its not refurbed ,i dont beleive . Mine looks as nice but is an obvious refurb with the ported grenade launcher and all. Mine was sold as unissued ,wich I knew wasnt totaly true , although it was unissued since refurbed to new condition .

·
Registered
596 Posts
...they were selling new ones for more money, but were supposedly out of them
I've suspected that Samco might go this route after the post election price jump and running out of new condition Yugo's overnight. I wouldn't be surprised if they just "reclassified" the existing inventory to feed the panic. I'm still waiting for the "We just found a few more crates of unissued SKS's in a dark corner of our warehouse, BUY NOW!" pitch. Of course they won't be selling them for $249 again...;)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Isn't the history of the yugo sks's is that they were once model 59's that were converted to the 59/66's that maybe eventually became 59/66A1's too? My thoughts are if the 59's were converted into 59/66's why not did they go right down the line as they progressed. I'm sure they recycled and rebuilt them. This was why we didn't see that may 59's. When we really seen a flood of 59/66's and 59/66A1's.

There was some batches of unissued m59's, 59/66's and 59/66A1's. I think i have a few of each in the blackhole.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does the log book match the rifle? It doesn't appear to in your pic.
When I ordered it, I asked if the logbook was for the rifle, and not just a logbook. It is for a 1970 rifle, G226288. I could read the number behind the page backwards. If anybody has that rifle, I'll give you the logbook for the $10 I paid for it.

AC

1 - 20 of 36 Posts