Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Administrator
57,791 Posts
Yes You need to have a permit in NYS to handle and own handguns. Permits in my county take about 3 months to get. Different counties have different rules about whether you can get a conceled carry permit or not, he would have to check with the local permit office for his county on what the requirements are.

Now his grandma not having one could be a problem. If that was the case in my county the rule is to contact the sherrifs office and turn it in so they can run a check on it to see if it is stolen, if not then you should be able to then have it put on a permit.

Mandatory jail time of 1 year for not having a permit if your friend takes it and gets caught w/o a permit.

· Administrator
57,791 Posts
No what I meant was if she just gives it to her grandson and he doesnt have a permit then he could get into some trouble if caught. I would suggest running the whole thing by which ever LEO runs the permit office, in my county it is the Sherriff's office.

I don"t think there will be a problem other than they will have to surrender it for a period of time for them to check it out.

Let me give you an example that I know of.

Last year a guy in our area finds a bring back Walther PP in an old house he bought and was renovating. He brings it to the State Police who held on to it for 30 days to check it out. He doesn't have a permit and wanted nothing to do with it.

They recommmended my 01 who bought it from him. I don"t know if he had some kind of temporary paperwork for him to carry it from the State Police to the 01 or if the State Police dropped it off and he showed up at my 01 later.

I just happened to call him that day to see if he had anything interesting, it came home with me at a very good price.:D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.