Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I had a post '64 model 94 in 30-30. Been eyeballing a new production one for when/if the ammo shortage ever calms down, I have a soft spot for 94s at it was my grandpas deer rifle for years (his was a 59 produced one, my uncle has it)

any opinions on these new Miroku made ones?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a Miroku made 92. Very well made. Probably even better made than any post 64 Winchesters. But I prefer side eject so I traded it off for a Marlin. It worked great had no problems with it at all. Expensive, yes, but you do get what you pay for and to get great quality it cost. The only thing that I did not care for was the rebounding hammer on it. It never failed to fire with it but still do not care for a rebounding hammer. I ended up grinding the rebounding leg off the hammer strut and that took care of that.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
The Miroku guns as a category, quality. I can't speak from personal hands-on experience in the last couple of decades and that perhaps minimizing my perspective. My only personally owned example, a Browning Miroku 1886 Carbine from 1992 manufacture. It's simply great and notably "true" to the original Winchester design, without external safety! I agree with sticking with the more vintage models when practicable. For me, "pre safety". I also do hear that comment about Marlin. Vintage Marlins, no longer sleepers! But the great modern-vintage models from late forties into early eighties 'out-there'. Notably yet less expensive than comparable Pre '64 Winchester levers and side ejection very material if any contemplation of scoping! Very, very - to my mind! The Winchester "angle eject" the 'compromise too far' to the original design. Add safety... Requiem time!
Just a long time collector's...
My take!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you feel that you want a real Winchester 94, consider getting a clean pre-64 one. It will be more expensive, but probably a better long-term investment than a newer one, regardless who made it. You will like the quality.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
As others of Winchesters, the last few years "pre years" were a bit reflective of a firm needing desperately to make a decent profit and 'not'. Their rifles were every bit as functional but my personal experience with a 1963 Model 70 in 300 Win Mag (the only year chambered in 'pre' series); a bit mediocre, especially the stock. Can't really speak for any other models, but my assumption a similar 'quality float down' likely. The Model 94 personal sweet spot for me were certain of the thirties models. From 1933 or so forward, the integral steel barrel ramp replacing the earlier post design. Combined with the yet existing carbine butt plate later deleted in the late thirties; a sweet combo! Adding 30 WCF chambering as most reasonably priced as well as 'most available' ammo! For me, a winner! From that 'in between era...' My kind of carbine emerged! Not the historic-classic look of the earlier models, but a great blend of old & new as yet during a period of real prewar gun-making! Several pix below, ignore reflection - action is blued!
Bottom line, gun prices are crazy now. Seems to me not sustainable. New one, one matter. Used one, quiet likely caught in the audible rip tide! "Riiippppp!
Air gun Wood Shotgun Trigger Amber
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Amber Wood
Cylinder Bullet Office equipment Gun accessory Gas
Lamp Wood Artifact Tints and shades Gas
"
Good luck whatever you choose!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too had one of the Browning 92's and it was an extremely well made gun. I bought it from a fellow Cowboy Action shooter who had shot it in competition for 10 years, and I shot it for another 8 or 9. The new Miroku's I have seen and handled are every bit as good. But HOLY COW have you seen the prices? I just bought a 90's era 94 Trapper in .45 Colt for half the price of a new one and it looks and shoots great. The USRAC made ones have a solid steel receiver, solid pins and a solid lifter just like the pre 64's. Don't think for a minute that the pre 64's are the only quality Winchesters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.