Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first VZ 24 rifle. I picked this up for a fair price I believe, considering some of its issues. Based on my limited knowledge I'm going to guess it's a Romanian Contract with a scrubbed crest and mismatched bolt. The bore is actually pretty nice with strong rifling. It appears to be missing the cleaning rod, at least one retaining screw under the receiver, factory repair hand guard crack, and crack on butt stock. If anyone could pass on any information they can think of I would appreciate it. I'm not sure what to do with it. My intention was just to make it a shooter with some history. I was considering replacing the stock, except it appears to match some of the rifle. I am toying with having the stock repaired. What I am leaning more towards it getting a replacement stock and using that to shoot, while leaving the original stock alone and keeping it if I ever sell the rifle so the stock stays with the rifle and then I don't make the crack on the butt stock worse. Eventually I would like to get one with a rampant lion crest. Please let me know if you want to see any other parts of the rifle.

Thanks!

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,190 Posts
The TR prefix block of 25,000 was toward the end of the contract which went from AR to YR. That late it probably had a King Michael crest. My King Michael is TR13263. Your rifle originally had serial numbers in four locations: receiver, barrel, bolt, and stock. The bolt has an early BR prefix s/n but it was ground and stamped by Romania. The trigger guard was also stamped by Romania. Your stock crack is not that bad. If it should crack more and even break loose, it would just make it easier to fix. Cracks near the receiver are much worse. I would keep the matching stock on it.

Liberty Tree has cleaning rods. The missing lock screw would be harder to find but there are reproductions made. VZ24 bayonets are easy to find. VZ24 slings are very hard to find but there are decent reproductions made. Check Ebay and Gunbroker. IMA has VZ24 reproduction slings for $13.95 but they have some small fake Japanese markings. Japanese WWII Leather General Purpose Arisaka Rifle Sling - Czech Vz 24 Rifle

1 - 3 of 3 Posts