Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won this bayonet on GB last night. It is supposed to be very rare in unissued condition. Was $80 a good price for it? I know nothing about bayonets, just wanted one for my M95 Steyr carbine.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I think $80 is a bit steep. And perhaps it's unissued scince being arsenal reworked but unissued all together...I don't think so. Notice the hole in the pommel? It and the most likely cut off hook on the crossguard are a clear indication it was an NCO version.

To make a long story short it's a refinished M95 bayonet, but it looks good and if your happy thats what matters. Jon

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looks like the GB seller either lied or didn't know about refurbished. He called it brand new, paper wrap never opened until he did to take these pics. Still has grease on it. Oh well, we'll see when it gets here. Do you know what the 47 and 74 mean, Jon?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
In fairness to the seller it does look pretty new. But rest assured it's a refurb, the brazing around the frog stud is another giveaway. The numbers on the cross guard are most likely a simple serial number 7447. One often sees traces of older stamped numbers on the crossguards on these reworked pieces. Jon

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know Jon, I said I didn't know anything about bayonets, he probly doesn't either. I have heard the term "frog" a lot when looking for a bayonet. Seems like "frog" was used for the leather sheath these go in, is that correct?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Yes a frog is a "holder" for the bayonet and sheath. The frog can be leather, canvas, synthetic or whatever type materials. If you wanted one for your bayonet you shouln't have too much trouble finding one. Good luck. Jon

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the bayonet arrived today, and I checked it out. It sure looks new to me! It doesn't look like the cross guard was cut, there are just machining marks along the edge where they dulled the sharp edge. I really don't know about the hole in the pommel though.

There is still a lot of cosmoline on everything. What you thought was brazing, Jon, was cosmoline.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
The electropencilled serial looks like a few eastern block post WWII refurbs I have. Also the grips appear to be new and look like the red wood used on a few yugo 98/05 refurbs I have. I say this is a refurb, with much earlier history to it, and unissued in its present configuration.

It is a nice one, but refurbed, not unissued in its original state. Still I wouldn't mind having one like that in my collection.

It looks like it once was an NCO version, whether the quillion has been cut or the crossguard replaced, the hole itself speaks volumes.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Bayocollector! I appreciate it! Can you tell me what the significance of the hole is? I'm trying to learn all I can!:eek:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the link, Todd! That was very informative. I appreciate it.

AC

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
For a reenactment is this good piece, for a bayonet collector is this a total rework, made by Bulgaria in post WW2, there are new grips, new crossguard, it means the piece started life as M1895 Mannlicher bayonet with hook on crossguard and ring on pommel for porteeppee, but after reworking it was created a configuration,that never could occurr in WW1. a NCO pommel grip with a normal crossguard. Same the bard is reworked and reblued. best regards,Andy

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Andy. Not being a bayonet collector, and just wanting a bayonet for my M95, it will work just fine for me! Got to admit, it probably is kind of unique then!

AC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts