Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this and purchased. I’ve never seen a crosshatched rifle before. I have a type 14 with crosshatched grips. I’m thinking the soldier did this, given it looks identical to last ditch sword handles. The bayonet is the same. The wood has turned dark in those areas
Wood Grille Bumper Automotive exterior Metal
Wood Grille Bumper Automotive exterior Metal
Wood Nickel Metal Gun accessory Fashion accessory
Wood Musical instrument Rectangle Gas Font
Wood Automotive tire Tree Font Bicycle part

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
353 Posts
Maritime service ... Matson.
My old man was on the SS Matsonia for two weeks as the relief "sparks" (shipboard name for a radio operator) during June 1946. As you already know, passenger ships required three radio operators so as to have 24-7 coverage. The SS Matsonia had just been returned to the owners and was back on the old route between the west coast and Hawaii. They alternated the runs between the ports of Las Angeles and San Francisco. Attached is a memento postcard the old man had in his files from that trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
During the war, Allied documents refer to this matter and even mention them by the Japanese name. It is little known though by collectors. It was puzzling to the Americans when they would run into this. Grown men carrying around a doll? It was for this reason that the veteran told me about them. He could not understand why a doll would be inside a helmet. He was dead serious when telling me about it though. It was almost like he was talking to himself. A few years later, I was reading a wartime intelligence publication from JICPOA when all of a sudden it was mentioned. So the old salt knew what he was talking about after all. Voltageman7 just got more lucky than he thought. The doll is probably more uncommon than the rifle or bayonet. Looking forward to the picture of you playing with your new toy!

·
Registered
858 Posts
This is the first time I've ever heard of mascot dolls. I just spoke with a Japanese Air Force cadet I room with and he said a lot of times these dolls were carried along by the serviceman as a reminder of his children but I'm sure there were other purposes.
Japanese pilots carried dolls into combat. I’ve seen them in photos hanging off flight suits. Uncertain if these dolls were from pilots children or ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts