Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may not interest purists, but might be educational for some so pardon me posting about RC's. I had the chance to sift through a quantity of RC 98k's this past week and noticed a few things maybe worthy of note.

The rifles were recently imported by "R-Guns" out of Carpentersville Illinois. The metal has the normal RC dip black and is of normal condition found on RC's. The stocks have a coat of a thin medium dark brown varnish, but it is not the classic RC thick Shellac. All parts are EP'd to match reciever/barrel number except for bolt release, barrel bands/bayo lugs. Typical RC numbered on the left side of stocks. NOW....the interesting parts....Some of you may have noted that the first batches of Rebuilt/dipped RC's seen in this country had their bolt numbers intact.

Some later batches, like those seen with Tennesee Guns (TG) import stamps have had the bolt numbers ground off. This was done rather crudely, and all the TG RC's I have seen the grinding was easily noticed and done with rather a heavy grit grinder, and a heavy hand.

This latest batch from R-Guns have also had the bolt numbers ground, but were done nicer. If a faker were to number a few of these, they just might fool a good number of people as the grinding down was very subtle in many examples. Some of these I saw you really had to look close....and I am used to looking for such things. So thought this observation worthy of mention for those who may be looking for the old crude TG grinding marks to indicate a ground/faked bolt.

The next observation I made has to do with the famous RC "X" I noticed a number of rifles in this batch that did not have said "X". In general there were some small signs in the group that this batch may have been through more than one rebuild/rehab. but no 100% proof on that aspect.

That all said, what I noticed was a certain number instead of having an "X" had a sort of elongated "0" stamped between the code and the date. See the pics attached for examples of the marks. I also noted that some of these (not all) "0" marked rifles had an "X" stamped in the bottom of the wrist area. I saw no rifles with an X marked reciever that had the X in the wood.

I thought this might be worthy of mention as it may indicate a different facility doing the rehab work, and using another marking to indicate same?

SO...the "X" may not be universal to all RC's. or may not have to do with capture....but that is another debate. The other concern is that somebody who is not up on RC's and Originals might be relying on spotting an "X" to alert them to an RC or help keep them away from a faked RC/Nazi....and might not realize that the "0" is also a sign of an "RC".

Hope this has not bored you all too much, and I do not claim this info as being about ALL the R-Guns 98k's. Just some observations on some I got to fondle. Pics below show a bit of the typical condition of this batch, all I have done to these two is give them a quick wipe down to remove cosmoline.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If they have the classic serial in the butt, I'd hope folks would recognize that instead of the X. As we know, some RCs don't have the X. But they always have that nice serial in the butt. :)

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
if i were to fake a bolt, id bend a chezh one, the serials are on the stem, and the bolt top is prestene. youd have to grind off the stem a bit, but everyones lookin at the bolt root not the sides of the stem.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,709 Posts
I like the info you shared on the bolt serials being ground off. I had wondered why there was no serial stamp on the root of the bolt on my RC. Thanks.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
512 Posts
After redoing 50 RCs I have seen a couple with no Xs. Have not seen the O before.
Xs can appear on the top of the receiver, on the side of the receiver above the serial number and on the barrel above the seral number.

tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts