Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally added a must-have item to my small collection of Lee Enfield and Commonwealth rifles. A very nice BSA Martini Cadet. NSW issued and dated 9/'11, all matching with almost 100% bluing, bore v/good+ and pretty good wood as well. Took these pics before doing any cleaning at all, there is a bit of scuz to come off the frame. As a bonus, the shopkeeper gave me the box of ammo in the pic. There was one Kynoch round among them.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Very nice mate,

I think the Martini Cadets are the last of the reasonable priced guns left in Australia. It is also one of the few firearms that most have state issue marks on.

I have a nice WA stamped one and since it is the state I was born and I'm living in it just makes me more attracted to it.

Unfortunately it is not in the best condition and currently the action is jammed. I hope when i get some free time I can clean it up some more and get her going again.

cheers,
Lachy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Geez Son i hope that box of ammo is'nt a collectors item ....because i have the same old .310 super ammo and fired off half the box a couple of months ago out of my BSA martini cadet ,NSW issued and dated 10/11 .
I'm new to threads and posting so will get back to you about SAF 7.62TR when i work my way around the forum and learn how to send private messages.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
The only 310 ammo I've seen here in the States were Kynoch and on the loose. I bought them but I won't shoot them. I made my brass by thinning the rims, shortening and fireforming 32-20 cases. Great shooter and lots of fun.
Mine is also NSW with 7/'11 and the CMF stampings on the buttstock.

This brings up a question though. I've noticed a great number of the buttstocks (esp.NSW's) have bruises about midway. Were a lot of these rifles bounced around in saddle scabbards...or something, at one time?

·
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Super .310 ammo...
Nah, I made a few enquiries and found out theres a bit around in ammo collectors circles. The box was open, I kept a couple of the Supers and the Kynoch of course- just in case. I did manage to score a full set of Simplex dies for it the other day (I've been informed by a reliable source they are the best option for reloading these) Only gotta chase down a Simplex press now!
Not sure if mine was 9/'11 or 10/'11 dated, also NSW. They could be brothers!

JB, I've seen a couple with rather bad "bruising" to the sides of the butt. Never really thought much about it. Perhaps it was the way they were transported to and from the range for the cadets? Be interesting to see if the marks correspond with the fittings inside the eight rifle SMLE transport crate.... Don't recall seeing/ hearing about them being used on horseback, but then again, I haven't been looking either.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Were they not requisitioned in WW2 as the last line of defence - hence the 310 round they made with the pointy jacketed bullet to be legal to shoot Japenese with.
I have seen a picture of an Australian soldier on horseback waving one around - somebody will have a copy.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Were they not requisitioned in WW2 as the last line of defence - hence the 310 round they made with the pointy jacketed bullet to be legal to shoot Japenese with.
I have seen a picture of an Australian soldier on horseback waving one around - somebody will have a copy.
I'd read that they manufactured a cartridge for the .310 cadet with the aproximate ballistics of the .30 M1 Carbine round for use by guards at warehouses and such.
The action is certainly stronger than it needs to be for the standard .310 cartridge.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Super .310 ammo... seen a couple with rather bad "bruising" to the sides of the butt. Never really thought much about it. Perhaps it was the way they were transported to and from the range for the cadets? .... Don't recall seeing/ hearing about them being used on horseback, but then again, I haven't been looking either.
The reason I noticed is because mine has a pattern of dings in that area. Wondering what may have caused it now has me looking at every Cadet buttstock I see.

I don't own dies for the 310. I decap using a Lyman universal decapper and use a priming tool with a 32-20 shell holder. (I had those things on hand.) I then modified a Lee 'Factory Crimp' 32-20 die to work with the long 310 cases. Misses the case mouth on the short ones.
The first batch of ammo I bought came from a commercial reloading house. Formed and trimmed to the shorter spec. Fortunately I have the longer chamber so the shorties are now in reserve.
Having the correct dies available saves on some headaches if you have more than one Cadet or prefer to crimp....which I do. :)

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Out of curiosity I once slipped a M-E 1895 bayonet onto my Cadet. I didn't study it too closely, but it looked as though a little file work to the mortise slot would do the trick.
The little rifle did look vicious with the big poker hanging off the end. :)

If I ever come across a scrub or broken 1895 for cheap, I may consider cobbling it up to fit. Don't know what I'd do with it afterward, but it would help pass the time on boring winter evenings.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Could have an older brother to yours Son, my latest acquisition a .310 Cadet marked to CMF, NSW dated 10/11. I notice the rack number on both is punctuated with a fullstop. Wonder if it means 20,000 + rifles in NSW CMF ?
Got a couple of boxers of the .310 Super, half a box of Kynoch and four of the WW2 military rounds. Three headstamped MF and one MG.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
JB
I have about 100 pcs of once fired 32-20 brass. If you want them just send me your address.
tom
Thank you Tom, but I'm already well stocked on 32-20 brass. Probably enough to last the rest of my lifetime. I reload for the 32-20, 310 Cadet, and 8mm Lebel Revolver. Any more brass would simply join the others in storage.

Perhaps there's someone else here on the board that might put them to better use? I appreciate the offer though.

Cheers,

JB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts