Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I emphasise the blueing because individual countries do have their own specific ways of treating steel blades. I am - as I have said - not a bayonet expert, but I have seen a far few in my time, and know reasonably well all the Western European post 1871 and pre-WW2 ones.

I note that AndyB - who knows Central and Eastern European bayonets better than most - hasn't made a comment on this one re: the blueing (or browning as the Germans termed it!). Over to you AndyB:)

Julian

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
LOL ...I'm laughing cause your question is so "Civilian" and typical of collectors who think military are
looking at dates, proof marks and all manner of trivia . Yes tons of stuff left over from WWII and in a refurbishment program, it was 98 Mauser bayonets into the bin for rebuild and out of bin to re issue. Parts is Parts to the military. Serviceable gear is re issued with no regard to date of mfg. A bayonet could have been in many countries service, rebuilt more than once and end up like the one under discussion. Its a 98 Mauser bayonet...used well into the 80's by other nations.

My guess is that bayonet re built by Yugo or Czech and never got re stamped with any of their markings which is not unusual. Countries re cycle stuff to re use, just be aware of that.
LOL......I'm laughing at your mis-use of the word "cause" when you really meant to use the abbreviation "COS" which is itself an abbreviation the word BECAUSE,maybe a good English dictionary is in order.

·
Registered
21,206 Posts
LOL......I'm laughing at your mis-use of the word "cause" when you really meant to use the abbreviation "COS" which is itself an abbreviation the word BECAUSE,maybe a good English dictionary is in order.
Cause there is American and there is English. Why...cause we can. However, no harm and no foul here. I'm good with this correction because words have meaning.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
LOL ...I'm laughing cause your question is so "Civilian" and typical of collectors who think military are
looking at dates, proof marks and all manner of trivia . Yes tons of stuff left over from WWII and in a refurbishment program, it was 98 Mauser bayonets into the bin for rebuild and out of bin to re issue. Parts is Parts to the military. Serviceable gear is re issued with no regard to date of mfg. A bayonet could have been in many countries service, rebuilt more than once and end up like the one under discussion. Its a 98 Mauser bayonet...used well into the 80's by other nations.

My guess is that bayonet re built by Yugo or Czech and never got re stamped with any of their markings which is not unusual. Countries re cycle stuff to re use, just be aware of that.
Andy....I'll post some more images tomorrow!...its too dark now for photographs...
I would look under grips as the countersunk were already removed, the finish is typical for english countries refurbishment is possible it was used somewhere in similar country? is the flashguard protruding from bottom? similar bayonets could be used even in Weimar or in WW2 but this bayonet has no typical configuration for weimar era rework. Any old proofs visible on pommel, crossguard or ball finial? More detailed photos could help.
[/QUOTE
I would look under grips as the countersunk were already removed, the finish is typical for english countries refurbishment is possible it was used somewhere in similar country? is the flashguard protruding from bottom? similar bayonets could be used even in Weimar or in WW2 but this bayonet has no typical configuration for weimar era rework. Any old proofs visible on pommel, crossguard or ball finial? More detailed photos could help.
Wood Rectangle Everyday carry Nickel Composite material
Wood Musical instrument Bumper Rim Automotive wheel system
Door Fixture Wood Composite material Electric blue
Water Fluid Wood Electric blue Liquid

AndyB
I've taken these images to show the top and bottom for the flash guard,the scabbard has a mark on the finial (not sure if I've shown it the right way up!)...the scabbard throat looks original as does the throat screw..not an aluminium rivet on the side of the scabbard o some refurbishment.I'm loathe to remove the grips in case I mash up the scews!

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Ok do better not, when there is possibility anything to damage, flashguard is WW1 same as the scabbard, there is remains of imperial proof. Evidently the blueing on scabbard was done over cleaned rusting surface.So the blueing is not period, and could be done post WW2 from a english armorer to sample.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
It's NOT an East German refurb because of the image of the flash guard and the absence of an aluminium rivet replacing the screw in the scabbard. East German refurbs, uniquely, had tiny indentations in a sort of "cross-hatch-pattern" covering the top of the flash guard.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
A big THANK YOU to everyone for their contributions and insights on this particular bayonet.
I have difficulty in understanding why a WW1 1917 dated German bayonet might have possibly been refurbished for use after 1945,(It wasn't refurbished for laughs or someone's private project)..It was refurbished for continuing military use by a country using, I imagine a bolt action Mauser rifle that this bayonet would attach to,and the fact that the style of blueing and the pattern of blueing resembles British (and Commonwealth) blades is a real poser.What would be interesting is if another similar model and age of this bayonet turned up with similar blueing

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
A big THANK YOU to everyone for their contributions and insights on this particular bayonet.
I have difficulty in understanding why a WW1 1917 dated German bayonet might have possibly been refurbished for use after 1945,(It wasn't refurbished for laughs or someone's private project)..It was refurbished for continuing military use by a country using, I imagine a bolt action Mauser rifle that this bayonet would attach to,and the fact that the style of blueing and the pattern of blueing resembles British (and Commonwealth) blades is a real poser.What would be interesting is if another similar model and age of this bayonet turned up with similar blueing

·
Registered
23 Posts
I need One like that for my 7.62 Israeli k98.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts