Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20,668 Posts
milprileb….d'you think a country would rework a bayonet made in 1917 after WW2....when there must have been loads of half decent "newer" ones on the market?.
..I'm wondering if any other forum members have seen this method of refurbishing/ blueing (pommel,cross guard and 20 mm up the riccaso)
LOL ...I'm laughing cause your question is so "Civilian" and typical of collectors who think military are
looking at dates, proof marks and all manner of trivia . Yes tons of stuff left over from WWII and in a refurbishment program, it was 98 Mauser bayonets into the bin for rebuild and out of bin to re issue. Parts is Parts to the military. Serviceable gear is re issued with no regard to date of mfg. A bayonet could have been in many countries service, rebuilt more than once and end up like the one under discussion. Its a 98 Mauser bayonet...used well into the 80's by other nations.

My guess is that bayonet re built by Yugo or Czech and never got re stamped with any of their markings which is not unusual. Countries re cycle stuff to re use, just be aware of that.

·
Registered
20,668 Posts
No need to be rude! I think we are all aware of recyling. Look at all those Donbas 'conscripts' in East Ukraine today armed with M-N M.91/33's! And look at the over 20+ types of bayonet Turkey used into the 1950's...The real matter under discussion here, matey, is the blueing...
Wasn't rude but if you insist so be it. You guys don't understand blueing process is very different batch to batch at times so it can take you on wrong path...NO the British did not blue that bayonet so that is merely wishful thinking or "speculation" at best.

One might do better looking at underside of the replaced grips for some clues but short of any clues, its a post WWII refurb out of Europe and who were the most likely countries re arming with 98 Mausers ?
I think its a rather unique bayonet worth having , lots of history its seen.

In closing if you guys got to hang on the bluing being the code to break, Go look at Hungarian, Bulgarian, Czech, Yugo, East German, Polish bluing examples .

Like the bayonet !

·
Registered
20,668 Posts
LOL......I'm laughing at your mis-use of the word "cause" when you really meant to use the abbreviation "COS" which is itself an abbreviation the word BECAUSE,maybe a good English dictionary is in order.
Cause there is American and there is English. Why...cause we can. However, no harm and no foul here. I'm good with this correction because words have meaning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts