Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have managed to successfully load for my Martini henry. Now then I am looking to reload for my 308 SLR,K98 Sniper 8mm,Mosin Pem 7.62 and M16 223 for longer range consistencies.
I have a shed load of once fired brass for the above, all boxer primed, so I am looking for anybodies pet loads if pos please.

Also resizing : I think I am doing this wrong with regards to measuring. I have an electronic caliper which can measure in mm and inches.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
All my .308 loads (except the SABOT round) involve between 45 and 51 gr of WW748BR. Rifle loves it, powder measure loves it, what's not to love.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Hey many thanks, what heads o you use, and what distance do you shoot out from please ?
Hornady 110gr V-MAX, 130gr SP, and 150gr Interlock.

Dog (coyote), deer, and hog-killers, 300 yards or so, if I can't possibly work my way closer (you just found the difference between a freezer-filler and a cardboard/paper assasin).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Scout scoped 1943 Mosin 91/30 putting rounds on 21" across steel plate at 800 yards. (no the plate wasn't leaning against my house)

Winchester brass and large rifle primers, Sierra .311 dia. 174gr HPBT 51.5grain IMR4350
Drop the charge to 49.5 when shooting my 1925 Ex-Dragoon open sights at 200 yards.​

Attachments

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scout scoped 1943 Mosin 91/30 putting rounds on 21" across steel plate at 800 yards. (no the plate wasn't leaning against my house)

Winchester brass and large rifle primers, Sierra .311 dia. 174gr HPBT 51.5grain IMR4350
Drop the charge to 49.5 when shooting my 1925 Ex-Dragoon open sights at 200 yards.​
Excellent many thanks, do you know the speed of your bullet at 800 by chance ?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi guys, I have managed to successfully load for my Martini henry. Now then I am looking to reload for my 308 SLR,K98 Sniper 8mm,Mosin Pem 7.62 and M16 223 for longer range consistencies.
I have a shed load of once fired brass for the above, all boxer primed, so I am looking for anybodies pet loads if pos please.

Also resizing : I think I am doing this wrong with regards to measuring. I have an electronic caliper which can measure in mm and inches.
What type of reloading press do you use, have you the dies which you need, and do you have a case trimmer? We of course use the inches measurement because the metric equivalent isn't always published. For the .223 I only shoot 55 gr projectiles with 23.5 grains of IMR 3031. You can experiment up or down from there .1 grains at a time until you find something your rifle likes, but to be safe start at 22.5 gr and work up to no more than 24.5 gr max load. This info comes from the Nosler manual and works well for me. I don't know which powders you have access to in the UK so my info might be meaningless. At a muzzle velocity of 3100 fps, this load will be doing appr. 1000fps at 800yds. Incidentally, I left you a PM.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What type of reloading press do you use, have you the dies which you need, and do you have a case trimmer? We of course use the inches measurement because the metric equivalent isn't always published. For the .223 I only shoot 55 gr projectiles with 23.5 grains of IMR 3031. You can experiment up or down from there .1 grains at a time until you find something your rifle likes, but to be safe start at 22.5 gr and work up to no more than 24.5 gr max load. This info comes from the Nosler manual and works well for me. I don't know which powders you have access to in the UK so my info might be meaningless. At a muzzle velocity of 3100 fps, this load will be doing appr. 1000fps at 800yds. Incidentally, I left you a PM.
Hey thanks for the reply. I have all the dies (Lee) and have a lee classic cast press. Lyman case trimmer and 49th Edition manual,hornady electronic scales, lee powder thrower & various cleaning agents. Sierra are the most common *bullets over here, as for powder I am not sure.

·
Banned
6,075 Posts
i know of the berger bullet company, the hornady bullet company, and the sierra bullet company...
but have NEVER heard of the sierra HEAD company....

sorry they are bullets..not heads, not pills....just bullets...
getting down from my soap box
yea its one of my pet peaves....
inhale, exhale....inhale exhale...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
mike in co
. Sierra are the most common heads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.