Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

First post for me here. I'm new to collecting Mosins but I've been reading up on them for a while. I finally gave in and ended up buying three Mosins this weekend.

Here's what I got:

1. 1947 M44 Izzy with all matching serials except butt plate of the rifle. Non refurbished "original" condition with excellent like new bore and blonde stock with some moderate wear. PAID $140 out the door.

2. Triple Dated Izzy Ex-Dragoon 1923/45/53...MO marked...laminated stock...early WW 2 stock...absolutely beautiful in every way including excellent bore. Came with sling/bayo /accessory kit. All matching serials. PAID $115 out the door.

3. Double Dated Izzy Ex-Dragoon 1927/53 ...MO marked...laminated stock...same as above without early WW2 stock but laminated, etc. All matching serials. Also with sling/ bayo/ accessory kit. PAID $115 out the door.

So....since I'm new...how did I do? I feel like I overpaid for the M44 but it was an old guy who said it was from his collection...said it shoots awesome...etc, etc. Maybe I fell for the pitch but I liked that it was not refurbished and also that it was a private party transfer instead of a gun shop purchase.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok...there's my pics.

Did I describe these correctly? The triple stamp is hard to read in the photo but you can see it pretty clearly in person.

Next question...should I clean these or leave them "authentic" with cosmoline in the barrel, etc.?

· Registered
918 Posts
The price on the '47 M44 was high, but I wouldn't feel bad over a few bucks... the '46-'48 M44s are really nice and low production years too. The other two were certainly priced right.

Don't get too worried about pricing. If you are only buying a few rifles per year $20-30 extra here and there doesn't make much of a difference. I'm not saying you shouldn't care if something is overpriced, just don't let that stop you from getting something special that you will enjoy.

· Registered
1,008 Posts
I say you did great!! Welcome to the forum and to Mosin Madness which you may have one of the worst cases I've seen for a first timer! :D :D

You may have paid a little extra for the M44 but you made it up with the other two!! :D

· Registered
3,556 Posts
You didn't do too bad for an OTD price on the 91/30. I think the M44 is a little high, but the rare date makes up for it.
I could be wrong, but the 91/30s don't look like laminated stocks. They look like regular hardwood with a cool grain pattern!
Lammies have parallel looking lines on the bottom on the bottom/top of the stock. Some have a toe splice on the bottom of the butt.
Laminated stocks are, I think, very late/post war.
Can you take a better pict of the stocks?
Yes clean'em, and shoot'em!!!

· Registered
1,267 Posts
You did really well IMHO on the MO rifles. That tripple date is a harder to come by creature and the single MO is no slouch. Congrats!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice!

Thanks all! I've got some ammo on the way so I should be at the range with at least one of them by next weekend. I had read that the double/triple dates were harder to find so that's why I ended up getting them both. The guy had some other really sweet ones that I was tempted to get but I figured 3 on my first try was good enough. (There was a 1925 Tula Hex receiver with the Star and the dots outside of it...I liked that one)

Anyway, these stocks may be just wood...I dunno. I equated "shiny" to "laminated" so if that's wrong my bad.

Couple of questions. I cleaned the bore on my double dated one and it looks "clean" only a bit gunky in spots...no blockage mind you...just gunky looking sides. Hard to describe...from the back (bolt removed) looking into a light it looks clean/fine. From the front close up with a bore light in the receiver end it looks like there is some orangeish residue in places.(very minimal) This is cosmoline, yes? Can't I just shoot it anyway and let it come out when it heats up? I would be very surprised if it was problematic because like I say the bore is clear and the rifling is excellent. What do you think?

Second question....should I be freaking out about checking head space? I was planning on putting a shell in the chamber and VERY GENTLY moving the bolt forward to make sure it would close...then locking it in place.

If that worked I was going to shoot it and not worry about the second test. (I heard about the guy that put one in and slammed the bolt forward and it discharged because his firing pin was too far forward.)

The only other precaution I was going to take was I was going to wear protective glasses for the first few times which I don't usually do.

What should I do here? That sound good?

· Registered
534 Posts
Always wear glasses. You are shooting a rifle that's 75 years old, and probably using military surplus ammo. The surplussed the ammo for a reason. Mosins don't have the gas handling ability of other rifles, and split cases are fairly common. Getting an eye full of hot gas and molten brass can really ruin your day. I don't bother to headspace a rifle unless I'm seeing strange looking fired brass, excessive numbers of split casings, or some other problem. I also do it for real ratty or old rifles, and all Chinese carbines.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.