Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I recently acquired this Type 38, cheap. It's a Koishikawa with the serial number in the 1,976,000 range. It came with the dust cover and cleaning rod. The front band does not match. It appears to have given a Bubba inspired refinish job, reminiscent of the Magnese Phosphate on my German K98k. Is that what you all see? It's clearly not blued. Also the Mum seems odd. It looks "stretched" to me, although I can detect no signs that it was ground and re-engraved. What do I have? What is the approximate year of manufacture?

·
Silver Bullet member
708 Posts
Nicely refinished wood and metal which makes it a nice looking rifle and hopefully, a nice shooter for you. Not much for a collector to get excited about, but a nice example of an "elongated" mum. I haven't seen any on a T38 before, but quite a few on T99's (possibly from a well used die set at the factory?) Enjoy it for what it is - a nicely refinished rifle and have some fun in shooting it!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
From the S-Proof Stamp and your late serial number, your rifle was made toward the end of Koishikawa's Type 38 production, so I would also say early 1930s, due to the factory closing in 1935.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.