Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
14,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made in 1922 by Oviedo, it bears the Oviedo crest on the receiver unlike most of the M1916 rifles which were scrubbed on rebuilding. The first pattern had a rear sight similar to the Lange sight and the second pattern had the usual tangent sight. Mismatched, it came with a mismatched cleaning rod. It has no import marks.

Rifle purchased on Proxibid, bayonet on Ebay, I had the Spanish sling and repro German frog on hand.

I have had a second pattern M1916 for a long time but I have always wanted to get a first pattern - just for the funny sight. This one came with varnish slopped all over the stock and on some of the metal. I stripped it, rubbed in BLO and it came out looking decent.

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
I just picked one up dated 1923 this weekend - all matching except bolt (at least the bolt had no visible serial number). Had no import stamp - fellow said he got it from his Grandpa, and it has hung on the wall in his office for 20 years.

·
Silver Bulet Member
938 Posts
I bought a 1929 this weekend, only s/n on it is on the left side of the receiver. No import stamp. Has a nice Oviedo crest. I believe it is a pattern 2 because of the later type of sight. It was in pretty sorry shape because of the rust wood drying out but I believe it is saveable. Only problem so far is the safety is confusing me. The safety will not engage when the bolt is cycled, the lever stays in the fire position at all times. Only way I can get it to engage is to remove the bolt and force the spring to compress fully and then the lever will move to the fully upright position. But as soon as it is reinstalled and the trigger pulled it is stuck in the fire position. Need to find a cleaning rod also.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts