Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening, Gentlemen,

I thought I would share this with the group.
It has taken me a while to get this together, but I am happy to get there eventually.

This is the granddaddy design of the No.1 Mk.IIIH(T), and pre-dates the Patt 14W(T) by a few months.

These are the first British sniper rifles to use of the German style over-bore claw mounts and the scope is a 1916 made Aldis No.3. There is no lateral adjustment in the rear leg like the German designs, but there is a lateral adjustment in the objective lens group. The scope mounts are the same as the P14(T) Aldis scopes, but the rear leg is about a half inch longer to accommodate the rear block being down on the rear left receiver wall behind the charger bridge.

A couple of years ago, this Aldis No.3 scope came up on eBay looking very much like it was off a P14(T). When I saw that it had the extra long rear leg, I realised it had to be for an SMLE, so went in with a killer bid. It was pretty cruddy and missing lenses, etc, but a few parts found here and there got it complete and functional.

Trigger Gun accessory Cylinder Metal Air gun

The Aldis scope contracts to the War Office were filled in 1915 and 1916, but many sat on the storeroom shelf to be fitted up in various mounts during the later years of the War.

I'll post a few more photos tomorrow.

·
Registered
Lithgow Lee Enfield No1 MkIII/III*
422 Posts
Fantastic rebuild Damien. Tremendous effort. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Damien

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never owned any of the No1 MKIII's, but, had 4 matching PATT '14 snipers, PP co, Aldis No.III, BSA and proto type from Frankford Arsenal
That is an awesome collection. I will have to trawl through your previous posts to have a look. I assume the first two are Alex Martin conversions? Was the Frankford rig based on an M17 or 1903?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts