Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my lastest Husky, a Model 44 built sometime in the 1880's. She's a 16 gauge with as you can see beautiful damascus barrels and wonderful engraving. She crushed back pasture clays last evening with low-pressure 7/8 oz.loads. She's choked full and modified which I will be opening up probably to skeet I and skeet II before fall so I can carry her in my grouse and woodcock coverts. I have to publicly thank Mark Larson for giving me 1st chance at this old beauty when he made the painful decision to sell her. Geologist's hammer Soil Moss
Grass Plant Plant stem Metal
Gun

·
Registered
302 Posts
I looked for years for one like that but never found one in good enough condition. Congrats!! Sounds like it will be as reliable a bird gun as some of mine have been.

My 3 favorite bird guns, including waterfowl, are all old Husqvarna hammer doubles, two from 1910s-1920s and deadliest of them is M43 from 1890. All have fluid steel barrels. Two are 16s one is 12 bore. All have stocks that fit me very well. One is only lightly used and never had chambers or bores modified from original 12X65, 75 cm, full and half choke -- it has been my most effective waterfowl gun with Bi-Sn or Ti-Plastic Matrix shot loads of 28 or 30 grams. Model 43 has 80 cm barrels, one cylinder bore and apparently used with round ball loads for älg and other full -- this gun was heavily used and repaired in Sweden -- it is not pretty, just deadly. With European hunting loads intended for guns like this, that cylinder bore shoots quarter to half choke patterns and full choke one really tight, dense center patterns. This is gun I use when shooting for score.

Again, congrats on finding such a nice old Husqvarna hammer double with Damascus barrels and 16X65.
Niklas

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody for the compliments. Believe me I know just how lucky I am in finding this old gem. The damascus barrels are 31 inches long and stamped with a 43 on the flats, but the watertable is stamped 44 ??? A special order from the factory or maybe the barrels are fitted later to it, guess I'll never know. She's my 3rd back-action hammergun, I also have a Model 51 Husky and a Belgium guild gun both 16 gauges, and I just love the way these guns carry in the coverts with their small round action. I went to the weiss trading website to try to date her but they have changed the site and I can't find their dating chart. Can anyone help in dating her. Her serial number is 3486.

Thanks again
Rick

·
Registered
302 Posts
Greyphase,

Serial numbers in Husqvarna Hagelvapen 1877-1977 do not go below 16928 for 1884. Looking at pictures and descriptions, your apparently older gun is a mix of features for modells 43 and 44, based on what is given in book. That appears to be common on older modells of these back action hammer doubles.

Modell 43 is shown and described as Clef Serpent sidelever OR, in text, top lever and double locking lugs with only one bolt slot. Underbolts on your gun are as shown for Modell 43. Sideplates have sloping contact with lockbox. Forestock on Modell 43 has throughbolt attaching forestock, as your gun does. Forestock has inlay of steel or horn. Barrels may be fluid steel or Damaskus.

Modell 44 is top lever and shows both underlugs with slots for locking bolts, but can have only one slot for locking bolt. There may be a crossbolt extension on rib. Sideplates have radial contact with lockbox. Forestock has snaplock. Damaskus barrels.

NOTE: My M43 is very plain and has thick fluid steel barrels, as well as some features of Modell 44 and many later modells.

Niklas

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Steve and Nikals for the addition info on this old girl. Hopefully this fall I can show her off some more with a red ruffed grouse or a brace of woodcock. To me there's something about shooting a bird with a 100+ year old gun that just makes the experience a little sweeter.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
1,295 Posts
Hi Greyphase. Beautiful gun and a straight grip to boot. Dang it now you've got me in the mood for another 16 hammer!

You might try the Husqvarna museum for more info. [email protected]. They offer a research letter for a fee.

You could also email Fritz at Weiss. [email protected]

Mike
Oskar, have you gotten one of research letters? This is news to me as the story has always been that the records were disposed of when the gun works was finally closed down. It would be interesting to know if they have any information that is not contained in the Shotgun or Rifle book.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nope I never took the time to order a letter. Below is the email i received from the museum. Mike

What we can do is to issue a Letter of Identity for your gun. It willl include several items of information.

If interested, please go to your bank and instruct them that you want to credit Husqvarna Fabriksmuseum, (address: Hakarpsvägen 1, SE-561 41 HUSKVARNA, Sweden) SEK 150:--, the account number being: IBAN: SE8260000000000325821968. Swift: HANDSESS. When our bank notifies us on your crediting, I will send you a Letter of Identity for your weapon.

The Husqvarna Industrial Museum is owned and managed by The Huskvarna Local History Society and receives no public or private funding. It is therefore necessary for us to charge a small fee for information like this.

We will also need your postal adress.

Sincerely yours,
Rickard Bindberg, M.A.
Director,
The Husqvarna Industrial Museum,
Huskvarna, Sweden.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thanks Steve and Nikals for the addition info on this old girl. Hopefully this fall I can show her off some more with a red ruffed grouse or a brace of woodcock. To me there's something about shooting a bird with a 100+ year old gun that just makes the experience a little sweeter.
Beautiful gun! What an honor to hunt over this great gun. Thanks for keeping that spirit alive! Call when it's dinner time! We don't have woodcock out here, but sometime snipe will do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.