Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new to me No. 4 Mk I Longbranch 1942.
It has a Mk. II bayonet and a Mk. III rear sight, still have to look the sling over.
Next, I have to check the bore and headspace, then off to the range!
It has been a long dry spell for me, I’m excited.
Ed

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,589 Posts
Nice. Looks good. Takes some looking and some luck to find them in that condition anymore.

·
Registered
19,055 Posts
Sir, why did you not check the bore before you bought the rifle ? Seems to me its a bit late to the party to do so now. Do clean it and do have head space checked but next time...do a thorough inspection of a rifle before you consider purchasing it. If a dealer or seller won't permit a bore inspection (run a patch down it so you can see bore condition), then its time to walk off.

Hope it all sorts out for you

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Ecreegan: As you are probably aware, it's also a good idea to check the forend fit before hitting the range. Lots of them out there that are loose which will affect accuracy and possibly lead to a junked forend if used for more than a few shots. Of all the LE's I've owned, only one failed headspace but probably one out of three had forends that needed work. It's amazing to see how restoring the fit at "the draws" affects the grouping.

Ruprecht

·
Registered
19,055 Posts
Ecreegan: As you are probably aware, it's also a good idea to check the forend fit before hitting the range. Lots of them out there that are loose which will affect accuracy and possibly lead to a junked forend if used for more than a few shots. Of all the LE's I've owned, only one failed headspace but probably one out of three had forends that needed work. It's amazing to see how restoring the fit at "the draws" affects the grouping.

Ruprecht
An hour on You Tube will give one plenty of knowledge on how to spot a damaged or flawed fore end. Barrel tension test !

·
Gold Bullet Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Ruprecht, Thanks for that. I had indeed forgotten that detail as it has been waaaay to long since I could be among Enfields :) That part is good to go at least. I did check the bolt head and that's a no. 3.
Ed

·
Gold Bullet Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live in the black hole of milsurps and can't remember the last time I was in a shop or at a show where I had the item in hand prior to purchasing it and having it shipped to me :(
One time back in 2003 my work had me in OKC and I managed to make the Tulsa gunshow, an event I can still recall, sigh. It's hard to go out of state and overnight in a hotel for a gunshow; although I am seriously considering it, I would have to figure out which one(s) to attend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts