Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
A serial number K rifle with the features seen in the picture has been refurbished as new in the late sixties / seventies, and put in long term storage.
The counterbored barrel is a replacement (G) made after 1948 and common to the standard rifles and grenade launchers.
Your rifle started life with a stowed paint finish, walnut wood furniture, all parts serial numbered and was assembled from parts made in 1940 and hidden from the Nazis during the occupation.
Thank you, Kelt, for the detailed information. The workmanship on this is first rate, a very nice rifle.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,397 Posts
I saw you walking around with it at the show, I tried to stop you there but it was so crowded there, I guess you did not hear me as you walked by the table I was helping at.

Patrick

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Sent from MAS factory in January or February 1945.
I know you have more precise monthly numbers than me just averaging per month production - anything you can share - I had it in late 1944 so I guess it took some time for them to get up to productions speed

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I saw you walking around with it at the show, I tried to stop you there but it was so crowded there, I guess you did not hear me as you walked by the table I was helping at.

Patrick
Sorry I missed a chance to meet you... I was sort of in a daze after seeing boxes of 550 rounds of 22LR priced at $85.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,124 Posts
The "R" was not used on the MAS 1936. What the picture shows is a "K". The letters I, O and R were not used by the French on any of their rifles.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
The prefix letter R was attributed to the Tulle Arsenal, and used by it on its production, Lebel and berthier among others.

The book excerpted above is from 1905, Tulle arsenal produced in 1917/18 some Lebel rifles from available repair parts with the TR prefix.letters.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The "R" was not used on the MAS 1936. What the picture shows is a "K". The letters I, O and R were not used by the French on any of their rifles.
Yes, it sure looked like an R to my aging eyes, but after I was told it was a K I could see my mistake. That’s what’s nice about being a member here, everyone is willing to share knowledge . I’m eager to learn about French rifles, up until now I’ve been focusing on Mosin rifles. I just wish 7.5 French was as easy to find as 7.62x54.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's a nice refurb gun. Mine is the same, but has the launcher. Refurbished in the late 50's and then stored until sold off.
Picked mine up about 10 years ago from a guy who needed the door alarm on his business front door repaired but couldn't afford to pay me. I ended up the the MAS. Worked for him for the rest of the year. End of each month I got a parts kit for my work.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes, it sure looked like an R to my aging eyes, but after I was told it was a K I could see my mistake. That’s what’s nice about being a member here, everyone is willing to share knowledge . I’m eager to learn about French rifles, up until now I’ve been focusing on Mosin rifles. I just wish 7.5 French was as easy to find as 7.62x54.
[/QUOTE]
Privi Partisan makes it; it shot well in my old MAS 49/56. Once the ammo shortage sorts itself out it should be available again.

Skirmisher

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Today I took my MAS 36 out to the range for the first time with some PPU. I fired at 25 & 100 yards. I thought for an old guy that doesn’t practice much I did ok. I’m pretty sure this hadn’t been fired since it was rebuilt.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Today I took my MAS 36 out to the range for the first time with some PPU. I fired at 25 & 100 yards. I thought for an old guy that doesn’t practice much I did ok. I’m pretty sure this hadn’t been fired since it was rebuild.
Looks good to me. Makes me want to pick up some 7.5 from the shop my dad works at and see how well mine does.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Looks good to me. Makes me want to pick up some 7.5 from the shop my dad works at and see how well mine does.
It’s expensive , but I sure enjoyed being outside & at the range. It was a quiet morning there, I was the only one there, until I was about ready to leave.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It’s expensive , but I sure enjoyed being outside & at the range. It was a quiet morning there, I was the only one there, until I was about ready to leave.
That's awesome. can't beat a day at the range, especially one nice outside that you have to yourself. I have the first 2 Wednesday's off in the summer to go to the gun club with dad but our last 2 weeks we've been rained out.
I get the ammo for cheap, 20 bucks for 70 or 80 rounds. It's surplus and 1 out of 5 hang fire or don't fire at all but I can reload them with a bit of work.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
That's awesome. can't beat a day at the range, especially one nice outside that you have to yourself. I have the first 2 Wednesday's off in the summer to go to the gun club with dad but our last 2 weeks we've been rained out.
I get the ammo for cheap, 20 bucks for 70 or 80 rounds. It's surplus and 1 out of 5 hang fire or don't fire at all but I can reload them with a bit of work.
its Great to get the “family discount “. my dad and brother were in to reloading in the 70s. ive never done it because I don’t get to the range much and usually only use 10-20rounds of any one caliber when I do get out there. ( except 22LR , of course).

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's actually not a family discount 🤣. The shop owner can't sell it. No one shoots it in my area and he's had it on the shelf for 15 years. Those who do he tells them it's all click bang and they pass.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts