Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased this yesterday at the “ big gun show” in Tulsa.

It has an R prefix on the serial number. The info I’ve found online says that after Q was reached they started using double letter prefixes. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me the approximate “ R” prefix dates and / or any other interesting to know info .

This is in great condition and looks as though it has hasn't been fired much, if at all after it left the arsenal last. the stock fits very snuggly and has no dings. The Bolt and receiver have matching numbers, but there are no other serial numbers on it. The barrel has about a 1/4” counter bore on it, I read that was factory done.

The person that i bought it from said he had bought it but had never fired it. I’ve read there may be a date visible on the barrel under the fore end , but it’s in such nice shape, I’m not eager to try to disassemble it.

I‘d appreciate any helpful information that would shed some light on its past.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hard to believe I passed up numerous examples of these in like condition for $75USD back in the 90s...until I feel the boot print on my arse where I kick myself. Paid $250USD for mine a few years ago
Congratulations!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nice rifle. I had a few that were like in unissued condition. I sold one about a week ago at a local gun show for $450

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hard to believe I passed up numerous examples of these in like condition for $75USD back in the 90s...until I feel the boot print on my arse where I kick myself. Paid $250USD for mine a few years ago
Congratulations!
Thank, Chief, I’m happy to have found such a nice one.
It’s amazing how much prices have risen since I started collecting in 2006.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice rifle. I had a few that were like in unissued condition. I sold one about a week ago at a local gun show for $450
Mil-slurps seemed to start around $400 and go up to a few dollars. I saw a rough looking Eddystone 1917 priced at $2,000. I didn’t look at it closely, maybe it was all original?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats! Enjoy that MAS. Mine is one of my favorite bolt action milsurps to shoot. Great Rifles!
Thanks, 273, I’m looking forward to taking it do the range. Up until now my two 91/30s have been my favorites .

·
Gold Bullet member
11,457 Posts
Thank, Chief, I’m happy to have found such a nice one.
It’s amazing how much prices have risen since I started collecting in 2006.
Okie:

Your new MAS 36 is indeed a nice example! Congrats! ;) 👍

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Nice rifle - congrats!! (y) could you upload a picture of the prefix letter since there are no 'R" prefix letter from what I know and sometimes its really hard out read out the cursive letters.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice rifle - congrats!! (y) could you upload a picture of the prefix letter since there are no 'R" prefix letter from what I know and sometimes its really hard out read out the cursive letters.

it looks like an R to me.... but I don’t know French very well...

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
That would be a 'K' to me - see pic below - "Q" was the last single letter and then it started with 'FG'

"Both J and K rolled serial numbers have parts associated with middle 1940 manufacture and may have been assembled after the occupation by the Vichy or German governments."

The date on your barrel might give you a more precise assembly date

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
That would be a 'K' to me - see pic below - "Q" was the last single letter and then it started with 'FG'

"Both J and K rolled serial numbers have parts associated with middle 1940 manufacture and may have been assembled after the occupation by the Vichy or German governments."

The date on your barrel might give you a more precise assembly date

View attachment 3819219
Thanks for setting me straight!! I can see it’s a K now. I appreciate your help. That’s interesting to see it may have started life in 1940. I’ll hold off removing the stock until, I have a compelling reason. At work we have some special Apex tips that might fit those screws, I’ll have to see if they’ll work. The finish on the metal is so nice, I’d hate to scratch it up taking it apart.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
I found some additional information in Ian McCollum's book;

K series begun in May 1940 - serial 1-28,000
K series resumes in September 1944 - serial 30,027 - 99,999
K series completed in May 1945

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found some additional information in Ian McCollum's book;

K series begun in May 1940 - serial 1-28,000
K series resumes in September 1944 - serial 30,027 - 99,999
K series completed in May 1945
Mine’s in the 50,000 range....they were used in so many conflicts over the years, it’d be interesting to know this one’s history. That’s one of the things I like about collecting Mil-Surps...its history you can take to the range .very cool.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
so using some simple math this would put your rifle in the November - December 1944 range. So it was probably barely used - if at all - thats why the very nice condition (my two cents)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so using some simple math this would put your rifle in the November - December 1944 range. So it was probably barely used - if at all - thats why the very nice condition (my two cents)
Thats Pretty interesting. I’m surprised the French would have resumed production so quickly after liberation. Especially considering Uncle Sam probably would have been glad to give them M-1 Garands or 03-A3s.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
A serial number K rifle with the features seen in the picture has been refurbished as new in the late sixties / seventies, and put in long term storage.
The counterbored barrel is a replacement (G) made after 1948 and common to the standard rifles and grenade launchers.
Your rifle started life with a stowed paint finish, walnut wood furniture, all parts serial numbered and was assembled from parts made in 1940 and hidden from the Nazis during the occupation.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts