Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a Rob Arms M96 off gunbroker which arrived a day ago. After handling it for about 10 min I noticed a hole that someone has drilled through the upper. Kind of irks me that I didn’t notice it on the GB listing. Any ideas on why this was done? The bolt rides behind the hole so anything that was through the hole would prevent it from cycling. Any ideas on a patch repair to clean it up? My first thought was to get a pin, like the ones on the gun, and use it to plug the hole. However, as stated the bolt will not allow it..

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have no idea why someone would drill a hole in that location, is it only on the one side? To fill it, you can either have it welded/ground...or plug it with a rivet and grind the tail of the rivet (interior) so that it doesn't interfere with cycling. The former would require re-finishing.

I'm perplexed that someone would deface such a beautiful (and expensive) rifle.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
That sucks, I would ask for a refund or at least get a portion of your money back. It will lower the value on that collectable Gun and now you will have to pay for the fix. BTW I just found and ordered one for myself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its only through one side. On the fence as 2 if I am going to call the guy and try to return it of fix it. My main concern if further damaging the guns value. I guess knowone would ever lnow if i tiged it and refinished the rifle.. I paid 1700 ish for it, which is a little cheaper than what they have been recently going for.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Its only through one side. On the fence as 2 if I am going to call the guy and try to return it of fix it. My main concern if further damaging the guns value. I guess knowone would ever lnow if i tiged it and refinished the rifle.. I paid 1700 ish for it, which is a little cheaper than what they have been recently going for.
The seller should have disclose it in the ad and or had a detailed picture of that hole. If it was my Gun I would call the guy and demand satisfaction or I would give him negative feedback.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,103 Posts
Seller may not have known it was not supposed to be there

Does it show in any of the pics?

I would leave it be, and enjoy

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seller likely didnt know, I like to think people are generally honest. I didn't notice it. There is a picture of it but it looks like a pin, not a hole.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/640628841

Bought it as a collectible / few times a year shooter. On the fence about what 2 do. Dont want to leave the hole. If it can be repaired to match the correct finish i think the value isnt really hurt in the long run. If it cant be finished like original it may have to go back..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I am going to keep it, tig it, and cerakote it. I doubt anyone will be able to tell its not the original finish on it and it will make me happy not to see the hole. Will post up some pictures when its done

·
Gold Bullet member
1,287 Posts
Well I am going to keep it, tig it, and cerakote it. I doubt anyone will be able to tell its not the original finish on it and it will make me happy not to see the hole. Will post up some pictures when its done
I believe that is your best option. If done properly no one will be able to tell it was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Range Report.

Shoot it this weekend and it runs really nice until the mag empties out. On the last ejection the bolt sticks in the open position. To free it up you can pull the 2 pins on the mag well section and it will free up and ride home. My guess is the mystery hole was an attempt to get the bolt free. Shoots great otherwise lol. 2nd Gunbroker gun that does not run right. Will drop it off with my gunsmith to figure out, fill the hole, and ceracoat it.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
That sucks, now we know the reason for that hole, I will be running the one I have this week. Did you adjust the gas settings at all? I have to admit I have no idea how to adjust them. Anyhow good luck getting it fixed.

Looks like it's factory set to me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I did not adjust my gas setting at all. Mine is at #4 where your #5 is on the gas setting pictures. I think my problem has something to do with the bolt hold open. It shot pretty well. The recoil impulse was light and was accurate without having to adjust the sites.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.