Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a small swap n shop today and got this beauty for $225. Did not know anything about these but thought it looked interesting and said why not. Learned a bit about them and can’t wait to shoot it. Thought the bore had some pitting but after cleaning it was shiny with strong rifling. Numbers all match on bolt, stock, trigger plate. Came w a nice bayonet too.

Also picked up some corrosive Turkish ammo bandoleers but heard they run hot and maybe I should not use them.. paid $100 for 310 rounds so not bad.

Any info and/or value estimates are appreciated. Learning about a new military rifle is always fun. Total Mauser newbie :)

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,190 Posts
They are nice. If you desire an 8mm mauser to shoot, etc. you can't do much better for the price. They can be quite accurate, particularly with heavier bullets. If you enjoy shooting, you will enjoy that one.

Reactions: Reconinforce

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Score!

Congrats OP.

My Yugo collection;
German/Yugo capture K98k, M24/47, M48, M48BO, M59, M59/66A1,
M59/66A1 Ceremonial, M70AB2.

Reactions: Reconinforce

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Really nice Yugo M48. Used to be they were very common today not so much. I have an M48 BO that I paid $250 for some years back. Yeah over paid but now going for more than that. I call it my hairy mauser. Stock looks to have never been finish sanded. Thanks for sharing. Frank

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,944 Posts
Your rifle is an M48B. The M48 had a milled floorplate. The M48A had a stamped floorplate. The M48B had a stamped floorplate and stamped trigger guard but was still marked M48A. The bayonet is a Czechoslovak VZ24, made and serial number marked for Romania. The bayonet frog is Yugo. The rifle is in excellent condition for an excellent price.

The M48 series and their predecessor, M24, all had the intermediate length receiver and bolt of the Belgian FN1924 rifle. That is about 1/4 inch shorter than the standard length of most Mauser rifles.

Turk ammo is fine for your rifle but it is corrosive. Clean barrel and bolt face with water first soon after firing. All you need now is a Yugo M48 sling. Yugo M48 bayonets are inexpensive as bayonets go.

Welcome to the Mauser world and thanks for the good photos.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took her apart somewhat and my remaining concern of any issues below the wood line vanished. She looked nearly new. Clean as a whistle. From what I learned it appears the bolt matches the rifle as the drawing/part numbers? matched the receiver/bolt/barrel. And the single punch mark means it was overhauled once.

No pitting or issues to worry about.
Think I lucked out with a spur of the moment jump into Mausers. :) thanks again everybody who offered their knowledge.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice rifle. Years ago I had a friend who was in the Serbian army (conscripted). God he hated that rifle, since the prospective opponents all had modern assault rifles. His stories of lugging that old rifle around started my interest in Mausers, which is arguably now an addiction. There are no better shooters than the Yugo Mausers.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,944 Posts
Took her apart somewhat and my remaining concern of any issues below the wood line vanished. She looked nearly new. Clean as a whistle. From what I learned it appears the bolt matches the rifle as the drawing/part numbers? matched the receiver/bolt/barrel. And the single punch mark means it was overhauled once.

No pitting or issues to worry about.
Think I lucked out with a spur of the moment jump into Mausers. :) thanks again everybody who offered their knowledge.

View attachment 3772159 View attachment 3772160 View attachment 3772161 View attachment 3772162 View attachment 3772163
The 62 is an assembly number. I don't know what the punch mark means to Yugos but it does not mean rebuilt. Your rifle appears to be unissued, as were a lot of them that stayed in storage until sold. The bolt, receiver, barrel, floorplate, and stock should have matching s/n.

Now you need an M48 bayonet and a Romanian VZ24 rifle.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 62 is an assembly number. I don't know what the punch mark means to Yugos but it does not mean rebuilt. Your rifle appears to be unissued, as were a lot of them that stayed in storage until sold. The bolt, receiver, barrel, floorplate, and stock should have matching s/n.

Good Info. Thanks.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Ahh that’s where I heard about the punch mark meaning it was rebuilt or worked on. Ian from Forgotten weapons thought that in his review of the M48. Still learning about these myself though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.