Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just happened upon this rifle recently. Not very familiar with the Husqvarna models so maybe someone could help me out? Serial number is 116XXX. 98 Mauser action. Windage adjustable Paul Jaeger Scope Mount. AJack scope with the German #1 reticle. Excellent bore. Need to find some info on the scope since one of the screw heads is messed up so I'll eventually fit a replacement. Scope is clear and appears to adjust throughout the scope's yardage adjustment range.

So, a few questions:

Is the scope WWII dated? Serial number is 52443?

Does anyone have an internal schematic on one of these scopes? One of the screws under the scope needs to be replaced. I don't want the 'guts' to fall out when I remove the screw for replacement.

Jaeger scope mount appears to tilt up the scope slightly. May need to take a few thousands off to make the centerline of the scope closer to the centerline of the bore. Anyone have an instruction sheet for the Jaeger Windage adjustable mount?

Any info on the rifle or scope would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took it out of the stock for a quick look.

- Large Ring 98 Mauser action.

- Receiver bottom has a few markings but nothing I see to say where it was made. ???

- Magazine box has machined in case shoulder supports.

- Trigger-guard not marked, with push button release, no hinge.

Looking forward to seeing how she shoots!

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
52,921 Posts
Is rear sight screwed in with two screws or dovetailed?
Screwed 1950... Type, dove tailed 1952 up changes on the American import market...

Not in my expertise European models....recent imports....a 98 Belgium FN action...
Markings on bottom of action ...others have indicated some details....I have not indulged in guessing or time in the research...<>< dk
Others will chime in I'm sure...welcome to the search for answers...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rear sight is dovetailed. The previous owner cut off the sight and kept the dovetail as a sort of slot filler. The Jaeger mount slides the scope forward when removing it so the sight would have gotten in the way.

Debating drilling and tapping the rifle for a modern scope setup and putting a Leupold on it. Then either saving the scope and mount for a future original Oberndorf Sporter project or selling it to buy something else. Had my eye on a Ruger No.1 9.3x74R to go with my Ruger African 9.2x62 and Husqvarna 9.3x57.

This Husqvarna is a very smooth rifle, it does deserve to be set up for shooting and not just a safe queen which it may end up being if I'm too concerned in damaging the classic AJACK scope.

·
Silver Bullet member
52,921 Posts
Then it's in the 1951 new style set up...two screws 1950 old type...
I did the same used another sight cut down to feel the slot....
put peep sights on my 1951, 1100, 1000 ...models...?
Sold my "husky" had peeps on it too 270 cal is why I sold it....
Mostly I collect 30 Cals mostly my passion..
Do have a model 7000 in 7 mag. three 243's...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The screw head you refer to could be fixed and re-finished without much trouble. Rub the high spot off with something like a emery board and carefully open the slot for a larger size bit. Correct screws are hard to come bye. I rust blue them but there are other methods like flat paint that work OK. Working under a good magnifier makes a good job of it.

·
Silver Bullet member
52,921 Posts
1951 not drill tapped for scopes but are for peeps!
If slot dove tailed rear sight ....in USA it's a 1951 model...
Picture shows checkering in fore stock also common for USA imported model with beech stock..
As far as your scope problem..I'm of no help! Sorry <>< dk

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took off the AJACK and replaced it with a new 3-9x40 Leupold scope today. Jaeger mount was already pretty well on vertically after I adjusted the bases windage screws.

If I keep the Jaeger scope mount with this rifle then I'd like to get a fold down rear sight to replace the one that was removed. Does anyone know if the rear sight dovetail is a standard 3/8"?

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
If it'snot d&t for svcope mount, I'm 99% sure it's a European model 640. Same as so-called in N-A as Hi-Power, 1950, 1951. Made in 1950.

As far as I know, there is not much documentation about adjusting the Jaeger mount.
Wurger's 1950 model 640 Husqvarna ("99%" confirmed), with a 1949 large-ring FN-made action (bottom of action):

Huskyman's 1948 model 640 Husqvarna (confirmed), with a 1948 large-ring FN-made action (bottom of action):

PrimitiveBeasty's 1952 (confirmed, see below) FN large-ring commercial Mauser action (bottom of action):

he also notes the following: "Just got a good deal on a .270 built on a FN commercial mauser action (didn't even know the make until I took it home - all the markings are below the wood line). The left side of the action is marked with the letters FN inside that little oval thing, and the date, 1952, next to it."

Here's my 1948 FN-made action sourced from an early 1948 Husqvarna. The gunsmith who built my rifle transcribed the serial number found on the 1948 Husqvarna's original barrel to the action bottom (confirmed).

Here's the kicker, this action is a small-ring 98. There's no evidence that the receiver ring was "turned down". It has the C-type broach cut inner receiver ring and a solid receiver rail. It did have a charger guide and rear bridge "hump", but they were carefully filed off by the gunsmith. The gunsmith sourced the action from the old Husqvarna and made no modifications to it other than "scrubbing" the action save what is stamped on the action bottom. This action never had a 4-digit factory code number stamped on the bottom, which is typical of FN-made actions. It came blank.

Yes, it has large shank barrel threads. And, the barrel is a standard 3-stepped DWM-made military Mauser barrel added by the gunsmith as part of the custom build.

It appears that there are at least five common and distinguishing features found on the bottom of FN commercial Mauser actions:

1. A small but distinct step just behind the recoil lug
2. A number or a capital letter inside a square (proof) [this corresponds to the year of manufacture, i.e. 8=1948, 9=1949, 2=1952, etc., with letters representing later years)
3. Most seem to have two or more hardness testing "dimples"
4. A factory batch number, typically 4 digits [though it is very possible that some actions supplied by FN to makers: Husqvarna, Sako, Browning, etc. were blank]
5. Large ring, large shank barrel threads (1.1 inch diameter)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Wurger's rifle is 99 per cent being a HVA European model.

As per we already discussed there's nothing saying HVA ever used such a M98 SM action and there's no evidence your action ever been in HVA's hands. This would be very interesting if you could find something to prove it but as far as I can say, it's impossible to prove for now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Baribal; ALOT has changed since our last brief exchange. For starters, I was able to get into direct contact with the original gun builder, who happens to be one of the most esteemed gunsmiths in Canada (now retired). He confirmed the source of the action, and also confirmed that he had to pull the original serial number (which is consistent with Husqvarna and a 1948 manufacture date) for legal registration purposes. Now, there was a time when people couldn't believe the earth was round, so I am 'ok' with you requiring photographic proof that the original rifle was an Husqvarna, but unfortunately, I cannot. Respectfully, I happen to trust the word of the gun builder over your assertions. In the end, whether the original rifle was Husqvarna or Sako or Browning is much less important to me. What is important is positive identification of an early (1948) commercial FN-made action, which also happens to be small-ring. I know you consider yourself to be an authority on HVA, but do you doubt the photographic evidence that it's FN-made?

·
Silver Bullet member
52,921 Posts
Now why did you take the Ajack 4 x 42's off? Unclear fogged?

The 90 respersents relivitive brightness ...
. Not sure mind you but I'm thinking your scope post war...?
elevation is only knob adj.. on scope..
windage adj's in mounts.....

I'm no expert ...good info and research,.....always brings to mind more questions than answeresm..
All from old memories ..reading..few hands on experiences..long ago.

Cal.?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Baribal; ALOT has changed since our last brief exchange. For starters, I was able to get into direct contact with the original gun builder, who happens to be one of the most esteemed gunsmiths in Canada (now retired). He confirmed the source of the action, and also confirmed that he had to pull the original serial number (which is consistent with Husqvarna and a 1948 manufacture date) for legal registration purposes. Now, there was a time when people couldn't believe the earth was round, so I am 'ok' with you requiring photographic proof that the original rifle was an Husqvarna, but unfortunately, I cannot. Respectfully, I happen to trust the word of the gun builder over your assertions. In the end, whether the original rifle was Husqvarna or Sako or Browning is much less important to me. What is important is positive identification of an early (1948) commercial FN-made action, which also happens to be small-ring. I know you consider yourself to be an authority on HVA, but do you doubt the photographic evidence that it's FN-made?
Well, honeslty, I do not consider myself as you think I do, I base my understanding on facts and records, but show me evidence and I will be on your side.
From what we've been discussing since the beginning, I never saw an evidence that may lean to a HVA SM FN 98 build. I NEVER said it wasn't FN made, but there is nothing anywhere proving they ever made such an action and even further that HVA, Sako of Browning ever used such an action.
Anyhow, I don't want to start an internet war, and if you say it, then, it must be right. So, it's a one of a kind HVA built FN-made SM action.
If you can prove from reliable sources other than assumptions, it will be with great pleasure that i will agree with your theory.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Baribal; I don't appreciate your sarcastic comment:
"... and if you say it, then, it must be right"

Personally, sir, I no longer value your input. You are among those that are set in their ways, never deviating from their "safe zone", as it would require research, work, and thinking. I have done my research, and if you look a little, you will learn that Browning, for example, offered a small-ring 98 made by FN. Whether or not Browning or FN "turned down" the receiver ring is of little importance. The fact remains, small-ring 98's exist, and some are ultimately of FN manufacture. I want feedback from those in the know, and from those that, perhaps, own such rifles in order to expand the "science" and advance our thinking beyond our dusty old textbooks. I am offering an opportunity to think outside the box. I provided some evidence in the form of stampings on the bottom of my small-ring action, which, to any intelligent person, clearly align with those of other FN-produced actions. How many millions of Mausers were built? Nobody should form a close-minded opinion on the minuscule fraction of examples that they read about or observed or owned.

Well, honeslty, I do not consider myself as you think I do, I base my understanding on facts and records, but show me evidence and I will be on your side.
From what we've been discussing since the beginning, I never saw an evidence that may lean to a HVA SM FN 98 build. I NEVER said it wasn't FN made, but there is nothing anywhere proving they ever made such an action and even further that HVA, Sako of Browning ever used such an action.
Anyhow, I don't want to start an internet war, and if you say it, then, it must be right. So, it's a one of a kind HVA built FN-made SM action.
If you can prove from reliable sources other than assumptions, it will be with great pleasure that i will agree with your theory.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Just for straightening things, yes, I do elaborate theories, but I do not consider any theory as a fact, unless it's proven by reliable sources.
Without those sources, it will always remain a theory. Even the rarest HVA rifle models showed up here in more than one exemplary, and there were only 227 of each made. Just so you know, I have a direct access to those coming in Canada, and I do check almost all of them myself.
Again, hate me if you want, but be sure I will be the first to congratulate you if you ever find a reliable proof that it ever existed.

·
Silver Bullet member
52,921 Posts
All of us are learning....been collecting husky's before the net...each and every time I personally think I've got it...I find out more to rap my mind around...
We all get emotional involved or we would just mindlessly disconnect from factual gains....Barbal you I all are needed to sort out incoming facts...
.tid bits of interesting a cumulations...sniffs, wiffs ...tracing down proofs..to dead ends ...or more questions..
Let's agree to disagree seems tripe ....until the SHTF braking down research communications...
Both of you are valuable in the long run to each other and must preserve communications...
setting aside mis strewed, typed intruptions of just some human mistakes in one way or another...
things that stops the flow..or show...can't be the life of research...
Let's just keep on keeping on....<>< dk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts