Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just figured I would show one of my latest acquisitions. ac41 coded P38. All matching down to the magazine. Rifling is nice and bore is clean. All mechanics are tight and functioning. Some surface pitting on the outside, but a decent original gun. It is my understanding that most of the ac41 codes went to the Eastern Front? Also, would this be a gun okay to shoot?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
very nice....what I am interested in is the fact it appears to have a numbered mag. that usually only happened on Police guns. any chance there is a police acceptence mark somewhere? that would be rare!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Walther numbered mags from the beginning in late 1940 up to the e, f block of the ac42's. The police P38's did not have matching mags.

It does appear the magazine above was numbered post-factory. (It's not original.) Even the number on the barrel flat is suspicious. What does the locking block look like? I hope you didn't pay too much.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Locking block is numbered 916j. Barrel flat does not have a letter below or after the number. No import marks anywhere on the gun. Could this have been reworked for use by the Bundeswehr or the East German military?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Definately. It has a very cool history behind it!!!!

As far as shooting it, if the locking block is original, I would not. But, if you want to, please get a set of new recoil springs from Wolff Gunsprings first. And, only use target loads. I prefer the WW 115gr. FMJ, but some say to use a 124gr FMJ.

You can probably find lots more info at: www.P38Forum.com There's a lot of experts there and great guys!

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Another AC 41.

A few quick pix of my AC41, acquired in latter sixties. Note the strange marking prominent on the left frame. Presumably Bubba creation. Grips are stamped steel, latter era. All numbers appears to match except mag. This, my 'in between' P38
Nicer quality than my all matching AC44. Not as nice of course as my NIB postwar Walther, Interarms commercial.

My take

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.