Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok, thanks for your input. I don't want to remove any character but there is definitely caked on grime and smells of cosmoline. I'll start with a damp rag and see what that gets me.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,281 Posts
As long as you aren't using anything more abrasive that a cotton cleaning patch...you will be fine ;-)

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DCFD4

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I've acquired a handguard but still need to find the hardware and I'm seeing many different variations... Would someone be so kind to fill me in on what exactly I need? Style of front and lower bands and length of spring?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I've acquired a handguard but still need to find the hardware and I'm seeing many different variations... Would someone be so kind to fill me in on what exactly I need? Style of front and lower bands and length of spring?

Thank you
you need a milled “H” upper band and a milled lower band with the flat sling bar. Both should have the e/63
Waffenampt. The band spring would also be the milled type. I think German produced band spris were a uniform length, but I have had to do some minor fitting on occasion. I probably have the bands you need, if you can’t find them locally, pm me.
Good job on saving this one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Alright, thought I'd give you guys a bit of an update on how this thing has come together. A damp cloth didn't remove much grime after numerous attempts and being that it was almost sticky to the touch I went a little further and used a 50/50 mix of BLO and turpentine which made all the difference. Stock feels clean and an unbelievable amount of grime and cosmoline came off.

The previous owners son actually located the stock it was purchased in and passed it to me. It appears to be a late war laminate and it's clearly been shellacked. It did however come with the stamped and matching bands for my receiver. I acquired a walnut E/63 hand guard which I think matches pretty well. All in all I don't think it turned out too badly. Still have to work on the bore a bit as I haven't gotten it as clean I think I can. The laminate stock is pictured last if anyone is interested.....

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
The stock has been modified post war with the sling bar. Most likely done by the French. They may have also renumbered that bolt as well.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,281 Posts
Awesome you got the original stock, even if just to keep with the rifle. Nice job with the stock and handguard matching!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

21 - 28 of 28 Posts