Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening forum members. I'm new to posting but not to reading and learning on here. I was recently gifted a sporterized 98 which I have no use or desire for. The original owner is "still looking" for the stock and I'm already leaning towards not ever seeing it. A replacement stock is probably a whole new WTB thread which I'll definitely have to get into. In the meantime I was hoping to get some thoughts on whether this was definitely a RC or not, as there's an X on the receiver but the bolt matches, the WaffenAmts are all present, and there's no import marks or engraving. I'd love to hear your thoughts on what I have here which may help me if I need to purchase a stock so I can somewhat try to keep it period correct. Hopefully the attached pics provide enough info. Thank you in advance!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,222 Posts
Welcome aboard.
I'm going with: not necessarily an RC - unless it's been humped, the "x" seen below the s/n on both barrel & receiver is the suffix.
The original blue finish seems intact on this '38 MO 2nd type example, & the bolt s/n is an obvious force-match ...... though it does resemble those found upon post-war French reworks.
Correct stock would be a flat butt walnut.

The big question here: was the handguard lip removed from the rear sight base?

·
Silver Bullet member
1,281 Posts
I agree with PT. Looks like a good candidate for restocking to me ..so long as the barrel and sights are unmolested, and the handguard retaining lip is still in the r at sight.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shadow64

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, already so much to take in, thank you. What is meant by "unless it's been humped, the "x" seen below the s/n on both barrel & receiver is the suffix."

And, "the handguard retaining lip is still in the r at sight."

So the serial numbers on the bolt seem to be force matched? Ground and re-engraved?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,222 Posts
Perhaps post a pic or 2 of the entire L & R side views.

Humped: deliberate fakery. Usually done for financial gain.
The bolt s/n is stamped, not engraved: engraving leaves a completely different metalworking "complexion".
Circled in red below is the handguard "Lip". It's a feature integral to the "sleeve", or base, & is frequently MIA from stateside sporter hack-jobs.
If gone, there's no easy way to undo the damage found here:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Yes, pics of the lip are needed. As I found out a long time ago if the lip is gone it will be a much more difficult resto. If it is intact get a new stock set with all metal and you should be go to go. Best of luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PTSanchez, thank you for explaining that. Luckily the lip is intact.... So at this point I could search for a flat butt walnut stock and myself a decent 98k? It must've been fired years ago with corrosive ammo as the bore and rifling are growing rust. Hopefully it's not pitted. I'll have to work on that for while...

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,222 Posts
Great pics, thanks.
We can now clearly see that it was upgraded to accept a front sight hood, so it probably saw a depot or 2 at some point in its past.
The barrel finish appears xlnt.
Now, some bore labor & more pics of those results will help.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,281 Posts
Wow, nice! Yeah, I'd restock that in a heartbeat, if you can grab a stock. (Rifles like yours are why I have 2 k98k yugo refurb stocks waiting in the wings...)

Reactions: mauser9

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome! Thank you so much! I'll keep you guys posted on the progress. Never realized there was so much info obtainable from what we're looking at.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Welcome aboard.
I'm going with: not necessarily an RC - unless it's been humped, the "x" seen below the s/n on both barrel & receiver is the suffix.
The original blue finish seems intact on this '38 MO 2nd type example, & the bolt s/n is an obvious force-match ...... though it does resemble those found upon post-war French reworks.
Correct stock would be a flat butt walnut.

The big question here: was the handguard lip removed from the rear sight base?
Mauser started shipping rifles with laminate stocks in October of 1937. A 1938 Mauser made K98k would be correct with a walnut or laminate flat buttplate stock with the E/63 waffenampt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guess I have some serious searching to do if I'm going to find a match like that...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Well worth the effort as far as I'm concerned. Correct stock in walnut or laminate would greatly enhance value and desirability. Not perfect but look what 98ks are selling for.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree 100%. This was given to me by someone special who passed away so I'll do my best to bring it back into true form. It'll look nice next to my M1 Carbine, Type 99 and 1911A1.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I've done about as good as I can aside from finding the original stock. Walnut, flat butt, WaA63 and only a 79 number difference from my receiver. I know it's a little beat up but I had to get it. Wondering what your thoughts are on whether I should clean it at all or leave it as is?

·
Silver Bullet member
1,281 Posts
Nice stock. Define what you mean by " clean up". It has lots of good character, but it does look like it could use a good cleaning. I would start with cleaning it like you would a good gun, and that is start with light cleaning solvents to remove dirt. In my experience, heavy cleaning will do nothing but hurt value and character. If there are rough sections, they can be "boned" to smoothe it without removing material. My goal (after learning my lesson with south American gew 88's and Nepal cache rifles) is a stock that looks like a well used, well cared for rifle. Let the wood talk, because cleaning stocks follows the law of diminishing returns (the more you clean, the less you are left with...) [ My Sarco Enfield for reference...

Reactions: DCFD4

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Stock does look decent. I would just try wiping down with a soft damp cloth. Think you did well as original 98k stocks are expensive and often tough to find. Maybe some Kroil on the butt plate will remove light rust.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts