Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been interested in Mauser Rifles and finally bought one. With my limited knowledge it appears to be a 1901 short rifle M98/38. It has a turned down bolt and a barrel marked M38 Sweden. What has me perplexed is the sights. The front ramp sight has been replaced by a hood/peep sight mounted in the original base? The front sight is also a small hooded sight marked with a "T". Everything appears to be matching except the butt plate and it appears the rear of the stock was repaired by cutting a bottom section out at angle from 1/3 way up the butt plate angled down to just before the rear swivel. If anyone can shed some light on what I have, I would be most appreciative.
Thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
Welcome to Gunboards! Sounds like a Swedish M96/38 meaning it is a shortened m96 long rifle done in the late 30's. These had straight bolts, while the Husqvarna M38 had mostly the turned down bolt. If a 1901, it must be Carl Gustafs, right? on the receiver. If you have a turned down bolt it could be from an M94 Swedish carbine or from a Husqvarna. Any crowns on the bolt? if tilted its Husky. They generally are good shooting rifles, and mixed parts is not that unusual. Keep trying to post pictures. The uploader they use here can be contrary. Also, there is a Swedish military mauser forum on down the list here at Gunboards. They know almost everything about these rifles.:thumbsup:
Kerry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, your info pretty much jives with my research. All the numbers match including the bolt. I believe when the 96s were converted to the "short" rifle, the bolt was turned down in addition to the barrel being replaced and restocked. Somewhere along the line the rear bottom of the stock was repaired professionally, probably at the arsenal where the butt plate was replaced. After that, a civilian added Mojo front and rear sights. They are right on the mark and it shoots well. Another question: were any short rifles modified to m-41 sniper rifles?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Got my first Mauser, in February 2014. It is an Argentine 1891 7.65 x 53mm that was sporterized by that government. All #'s match...

Now, I had mosinitis, and, now, have mauseritis!

It will get worse, I am sure! Welcome to the crowd!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Actually the normal 96/38 conversion retains the straight bolt handle of the 96. Bet yours received a husqvarna bolt when converted for some reason. Look for "tilted" crowns on the bolt. Some of the bolt parts on mine are husky as well as the barrel assembly and a few other small parts. Receiver is mauser oberndorf and the balance of parts CG.

·
Registered
332 Posts
We'll, if you have a Carl Gustafs M96/38 with an arsenal original bent bolt you have a rare rifle. It probably was re-arsenaled at some point before 1950 with a re numbered bent bolt from an m94 carbine or a Husqvarna M38. If you are interested in the details, I still recommend you repost this on the Swedish Military Firearm forum below with pictures. There are many permutations on these rifles, that web and book research will not describe, or may be misinterpreted. So, does you bolt have crowns? Are the straight up or tilted??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.