Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 1937 BSW K98 yesterday. Numbers all over it, 8094. I cannot find a regu8lar Waffenamt stamp, but lots of odd little stamps that look like Native American Thunderbirds. Looks like good walnut, none of the red Russian stuff. Probably reblued, but bore perfect. No cleaning rod, but does have capture screws. No sling. Is this rifle early, or transitional, or a parts bin gun, or what? Thanks, and I look forward to learning a lot, John

·
Registered
292 Posts
Those thunderbirds are Weimar Eagles. :) Pre Nazi Eagles.

How about some pictures. Sounds like a nice pickup. Does the bolt serial match the rest? Pictures will tell a lot and folks here can point out original versus bubba re-stamping, etc.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Well let us hope its not re-finished, quite a score if "original", - quite a tough year on a tough maker- 1937 was actually a maker year for Simson Suhl/BSW, as was 1938; once you get to 1939 things get a bit murky though I think it clear they did some assembly/mfg in 39 (1939 BSW "production" is overstated imo)

Anyway, like John suggested do some images and one can go from there as to what you actually have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sure it is refinished

I will try to figure the picture thing out. The bolt, safety switch, and floor plate are electropencilled.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Sounds like it has some RC parts on it - all the pencil etched stuff.
What is the WaA under the bolt handle and on the floor plate?
Do the trigger guard screws match the rifle? How about the stock, should have flat butt plate and ser nr on the toe about half way between the pistol grip & butt plate.
Sounds like you could have found a nice early rifle.
Sarge

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
under the bolt handle is a stamp that looks like a head-on biplane with a 3 digit number under it. This is struck twice. I cannot read the number. The stock is numbered the same as the receiver. The buttplate only has a stamp that looks like a thunderbird or the top of a palm tree with the letter "w" and the number 63.There is a small x on the left side of the receiver ring above the serial number 8094.orry I don't know the language yet. It doesn't look like what I have read about Russian captures here, but maybe Ivan was feelin' lazy that day.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The marks under the bolt handle are called WaffenAmpts = WaA. They exist in 2 forms - with WaA and a number or just the number under it If you can make out any of the numbers we can probably tell you who made the bolt.
Where is the stock numbered - on the toe between the pistol grip & the butt plate or on the left side? Left side horizontal = RC, vertical = Yugo.
That would be a flat butt plate with a Weimar style 63 proof = Mauser Oberndorff prior to 1938.
Does the X look like it was made with a chisel or screw driver? If so that's an RC X.
Sarge

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The SN is horizontal between the bolt diss. hole and the butt plate.
The "X" is mighty small, no bigger than a digit in the SN just below it.
The number under the WAa under the bolt is 655.Interestingly, the front barrel band number is 5094, not 8094 as all others. No swastikas or Nazi marks at all, but it looks like something was ground off of the floor plate before re-bluing. The number where the sling attaches in front is 2936. There is a bolt through the wrist. Thanks, Sarge. LTCjohn

·
Registered
292 Posts
The SN is horizontal between the bolt diss. hole and the butt plate.

Classic sign of being a RC. Most likely somebody "cleaned" it up. Germans numbered the stock inside the channel and on the bottom near the grip area.

RCs almost always have mis matched parts (bands, floorplate, bolt, etc). Not always, but 99% of the time. So you have a RC. On the plus side you have a very hard to find year and code. So it depends on what you spent to figure out if it was truly a good buy. Being in a walnut stock is a plus for it too.

Even if you paid too much, I'd still hang on to it. :)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The bolt is Mauser Oberndorff, between 1938 & 41.
The ruskie reinforcing bolt is for what is probaly a cracked stock behind the trigger guard that couldn't be seen unless you removed the trigger guard.
Are there any eagle 4 or E 6 proofs on any of the parts? That is what would have been on everything when assembled at BSW. I'll have to look thru the pile, but there are a half dozed E4 bolt stops and ejectors in the parts bin.
"Might" find a matching one, Who knows?

I agree with JM - Keep it. I'm in the process of picking up an RC BSW 37 out of the pile I'm working on. I'm lucky because I have the pick of parts and have put all the E4 proofed parts, including a stock, on it that I could find in the bins. Didn't get everything, but most.
Sarge

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the rest of the marks I can find

Okay, took off stock, sn is 9986, with letters that resemble BN or BM?
7404 under handguard.
07 on follower
2936 on barrel band
eagle 655 under bolot handle
18 on extractor
00 on windage bar
5094 on sling attachment barrel band.
the underside of the barrel is marked 37R42.
Looks like a real RC mongrel, I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts