Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first MH-MkII last weekend from another member here. I posted same to another board for the maximum help. Cleaned and cast the camber, come out chamber side measure .463~.464 land to groove while muzzle side measured .461~.462, assuming bore diameter .471 at chamber side and 469 at muzzle end considering 0.007 difference between land and groove of MH rifling.

have I measured it correctly? i.e is it sound correct range for MH-MkII? the rifling is real clean with almost no pit at all.
what's the recommended cast bullet and mold? I have limited budget and don't have any machining capability. considering this, what will be the choice of casting mold for me? Paper patch looks very interesting for me. can I do the Paper Patch for my MH?

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
There are a number of suitable molds available. The one cited above by Norm is a proven design, as are a number of the ones from CBE: http://us.castbulletengineering.com.au/bullet-moulds/rifle/577-450-martini-henry However my favorite is the RCBS 465-480, which drops right at .470 if using wheel weights (as you undoubtedly know, the "as dropped" diameter is affected by the alloy used).

As for paper patched, there is little offered intended for the 577-450, but a .450 PP bullet (intended for the 45-70 family), if triple wrapped works well in the 577-450 (also use of thicker paper makes it suitable using the typical double wrap). Also a typical grease groove bullet in the dirt common .458 can be used (without the grease grooves lubed), where the typical double wrap is about perfect.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so, is it okay to paper patch on grease groove bullet?
if it's okay, as a beginner, I want to start with cheap lee mold .457 or .459 bullet diameter with grease grooved. do you think one of them will work with paper patch up to .467~.469 ? which one would you recommend?

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
Lot's of people use naked grease groove bullets to paper patch with success. The key is to NOT have the lube in the grease grooves, which would essentially glue the patch to the bullet. The idea with PP bullets is to shed the paper after leaving the muzzle. To determine which bullet you'd use, first select the paper (Buffalo Arms carries thin high quality paper for this purpose. Traditionally bullets are double wrapped, which increases bullet diameter by four times the thickness of the paper....which in the case of the BA paper is .002, thus increasing a .458 bullet to .468 diameter.....which is perfect for the 577/450.

·
Silver Bullet member
564 Posts
While I've cast and loaded for a number of my old rifles, I have just started looking around for a cast bullet for a recently purchased 577/450. While I realize that paper patching is traditional, up until now I've just used lube and checks. Is there any advantage of one over the other in the 577/450? I'd like to give paper patching a try, and I guess if PP is the better way to go, I'll base my mould purchase based on that.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
This is the case of purist traditionals vs. the easy/quick and just as accurate. Learning to paper patch is well worth the effort and is an art form in and of itself. However for newbies to the 577/450, I normally recommend use of grease groove (no gas check required). As for accuracy, this is like asking which is the best religion. You'll get lots of opinions and at the end of the day you have to make a leap of faith. There are limited grease groove options for those looking to purchase bullets already cast, with Western's RCBS 465-480 being about the best available. http://search.store.yahoo.net/yhst-...63876&.autodone=http://www.westernbullet.com/

If you cast your own, Cast Bullet Engineering makes a selection of appropriate molds: http://www.castbulletengineering.com.au/bullet-moulds/rifle/577-450-martini-henry Everything CBE makes is top notch and really have become the place to go for quality molds of proven design....despite the fact that they are literally half a world away for most of us.

Personally I started with GG bullets because I like to hit what I aim at and knew there was a learning curve to paper patching. I've now taken the time and acquired the experience with patching that I can pretty much get identical results with either. There really is no right or wrong answer, just what you are interested in doing.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Craig,

I'd suggest you go with a good-quality mould for a GG bullet - like CBE. Lee moulds, while cheaper, usually don't last all that long - after which you'll have to buy another one, which will come out more expensive in the long run...
I'll add another personal observation: Most of these standard bulelt moulds have IMO a common fault. With the Martini Henry having a pretty cavernous case and an equally-sized throat, the bullet should have as long a shank as possible, something that is lacking.
Why? In order to both take up as much case capacity as possible (believe me, you don't want to fire a casefull of powder) while at the same time to be able to seat the bullet out as much as possible while still having enough bullet in the case. Which is why I designed my own bullet for the 577-450.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.