Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded for one today, have no idea about them but I have been looking for one a long time. I heard from the cast boolit crew that they shoot very good with cast so I traded one of my safe queens for it at the gun show, traded a 1885 Winchester 22LR single shot for it (not an origional Jap). Tell me about the Krag!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
It appears to be a M1898 rifle with a M1896 rear sight and NO handguard. Replacement handguards are fairly easy to find. It looks like someone has varnished the stock...this can be removed but must be done carefully to avoid destroying the cartouche (if it has one). How about a photo of the left side of the receiver with markings? Is there any stock cartouche?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No stock markings, no big deal as it will just be a shooter and a curiosoty item, I had no use for the 22 as I have a 22 that I shoot tree rats with and that is all I use a 22 for.
I worked about two hours on the bore (nasty) but it has very sharp lands even though it is frosted. I will shoot some jacked bullets to smooth up and clean again. Just slugged the barrel and the bore is .3085 the throut is .312 it will be shot with my cast bullets after I get the bore in shape, over all I am happy.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
You may want to switch to a model 1901 or 1902 rear sight to gain windage adjustments. Your model 1896 sight does not have this feature.

I have no experience with cast bullets in the Krag, but I would think you would have good luck with the heavier weight bullets.

Have fun!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think you will be very happy with cast out of the Krag -- they were made for each other. The bore on my rifle is over-size (.312 bore/.302 lands). I shoot the Lee C312-185-1R cast from WW and sized .313 over 19 gr of SR-4759 $ CCI 200 primer. I set the OAL to just fit the magazine. Shorter OAL works, but group size suffers a bit. I've been able to consistently shoot 1.8" groups (5 & 10 shots) off the bench at 100 yds over open sights. I put one of the Redfield "no drill" sights on my rifle and it made a significant difference in my shooting.:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you will be very happy with cast out of the Krag -- they were made for each other. The bore on my rifle is over-size (.312 bore/.302 lands). I shoot the Lee C312-185-1R cast from WW and sized .313 over 19 gr of SR-4759 $ CCI 200 primer. I set the OAL to just fit the magazine. Shorter OAL works, but group size suffers a bit. I've been able to consistently shoot 1.8" groups (5 & 10 shots) off the bench at 100 yds over open sights. I put one of the Redfield "no drill" sights on my rifle and it made a significant difference in my shooting.:)
It looks as if we have read eachothers load book, as 19g sr4759 is what I use in my 7.7 Arasaka, Mosin Nagant, K31, and 308. Great powder.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ha-ha! 19-ish grains of 4759 seems to work well in a lot of cartridges of this class. 19.5 gr in my Enfield seems to be the best.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been looking for the rear sight for a 1901/02 and have come up skunked, where do you think I could find one. Gun Parts has some of the pieces but not the complete sight. It will be very expensive to order the pieces and put it together. will the movable base work with the rest of my fixed sight?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Before you go to the expense of replacing the rear sight.......shoot it! I have several Krag with the M1896 rear sight and they all shoot very well, although you need to find out how much "Kentucky elevation" to use at 100 yards. Past that they seem to shoot dead on out to 300 yards.

I have had good results with 180 gr. cast bullets but the past few years I have been using 148 gr. 7.62mm NATO FMJ bullets as I obtained a large supply....FREE. I use a very moderate load and the accuracy is excellent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts