Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to get some information on suggested reading materials or links for details of early/late. what is correct or not...How to tell if a part is early or late war...etc. I have a T99 series 2 Nagoya barreled rec'r. I will be building(assembling) into a firing rifle. I have ordered a book on the Arisakas (it's yellow) I think it is more like a manual, from fleabay. I see a quite a few items on there for Arisaka's but they all say 'late war' I wouldnt think there would be so many 'late war' items available if they were inferior quality and metal. Thank you. Sorry if there are typos I am watching the Military channel.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
nothing inferior about late guns, they just had simplified manufacture,so the gadgets werent as fancy...the series 2 would be all early features. For reading material you need at least : "Military rifles of Japan" by Honeycutt, And "The T99 rifle", by Don Voight . The site stickys here have links to several pages of good info,Including a basic rifle primer at Banzai. The 2nd series would have had a Dust cover numbered to the rifle, AA wings, and a mono pod, most arsenals had distinctive proofs on their parts....Building them is fun, and a great learning experience, unfortunately you'll have about 6 times what its worth in it when you done, but it is fun... WWII japanese rifles under went several modifications doing away with overly complex or unneeded items, transitioning from early to late war in several stages, at no time did quality or metalurgy suffer to any great expent and a extreme late gun is as safe as a early one (aside from a few emergency use type weapons)

·
Kryptonite member
5,764 Posts
Stop where you are, davef is absolutely correct, you'll have way more in the rifle than you could ever get out. Buy the two books he mentions, less than $100, You can get a decent starter rifle, ground, matched, good shooter in the $200 range. If you get the Arisaka-bug you will eventually build up a parts supply so you can finish the 2nd series. My first Nambu pistol with plastic grips & missing the bolt guts was $80. I spent around $120 completing it and in the end sold it for around $100. You very seldom come out ahead building a mismatched weapon unless it has some family history.

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
From what I get , the Arisaks are truly excellent

rifles . It took America a long time to realize that .

In the early 70's I could buy one for $9.95 at Otasco

Economy Auto in Cleveland TN . If only I had known .

But I was always buying Enfields and Mausers .

FIVESHOT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.