Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought two Husqvarna rifles in 8MM .
I am looking for a side mount for one of them as it has the base already installed,
What do you guys think of these rifles?
Anyone identify them ?
Thanks,
deacon

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hi Deacon,

I'm having some difficulty seeing the details in the photos. Don't know whether its my computer or what, but will download them and see if Photoshop works on them. But, you have two FN 98 actioned rifles. What are the serial numbers for them. Then we can tell you the actual model number and year of manufacture.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
deacon,

Can you post some bigger photos. I tried to enlarge those in my photo program and they get too fuzzy to see. But, just from the bolt handles, I don't think they are Husqvarna rifles. I might be wrong, but the bolt handles look wrong and the stocks don't look right for an HVA either. The first HVA model to chamber the 8x57 cartridge was the Model 648 and the stocks are different than yours. The serial number should be on the left side of the barrel just ahead of the receiver. On top of the barrel, just in front of the rear sight should be the stamping "Husqvarna Vapenfabriks A. B. Kal 8 mm"

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
1,295 Posts
I agree with you Kriggevaer, from the fuzzy pics the bolt handles and stocks don't look right. The serial numbers should tell the story.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Post higher resolution pictures if you can, that would help. Judging from some of the features that can be seen in the current pictures, octagonal barrel, panelled stock, double set trigger and engraved receiver ring I'd say that both rifles and actions are German in origin. You should be able to find some markings somewhere. Lift the action out of the stock and you should at least be able to find out where and when the actions were made.

For your question on the side mounts, most of the good sidemounts used in Sweden were German in origin, so your question has some merit here.
It would be very difficult to find a top half that fit straight into your base, since the top and base of these mounts (or at least the good ones) usually were hand fitted and numbered to each other. If you find an oversize top a gunsmith could fit it. Somewhat easier might be to find a complete used mount, or if you're in the US, a Griffin & Howe sidemount is really neat, and would cover up the holes of the old mount.
Then fit a matching, good quality, old school scope to it... :)

Also, if this is a pre-war German Mauser, make sure to check that this is a .323" bore and not a .318".

Seems to be nice rifles, and might be worth the extra effort.

Pettson

·
Registered
966 Posts
generally speaking, the side mounts that are avialble are at prices that are pretty close to the cost of your gun! An economical alternative is to look a the aluminum williams unit with HCO rings at Brownells at about $90 total, or the weaver side mount that is less than that. Good luck

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I think Pettson nailed the ID - that is a beautiful rifle and it looks like a German guild rifle. It is not a Husqvarna.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts