Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I am a newbie to the forum and to Mosin Nagant rifles. I have a couple of questions.

First I have been around fire arms for over 50 years and shoot regularly. I am a CCW permitee and have more experience with handguns than rifles.

I took one of my two M91/30's to the range today. Don't start, my wife is already ragging on me about two old rifles. She doesn't understand. They were $99 each at Big 5 so I bought two.

I was able to hold a 2 inch group @ 100 yds. with iron sights. The only problem is the group was low right. When I got home I drifted the front sight and will try it again next week. What do I do about the LOW? I am reasonably sure that I can compensate with the real sight elevation but I don't think I should have to a 100 yds. How do I adjust the front sight for elevation?

The next problem is the bolt is very difficult to unlock after the round has been fired. It feels good (to me) with or with out a round in the chamber. As with all my guns it is squeeky clean and newly lubricated. The headspace appears to be OK and the firing pin neatly fits in the middle space of the gauge provided. I really have to hit the bolt hard with the heal of my hand to unlock the bolt after firing a round. How to I remedy the problem?

Other than the couple of problems listed, the rifle is a lot of fun. Out of the 10 rounds I had 4 within a 1/4 inch side by side by side, like a clover leaf. Amazing for a 70 year old rifle.

Thanks

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
You can make the front sight post lower. You can file it down or you can replace it with a nail and file the nail down to what you need.

As far as bolt. The only thing I can think of is polish the mating surfaces. The recoil drives all the parts backwards and tries to compress them. The motion of opening the bolt is perpendicular to the direction of the recoil. There is not much you can do about that.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Welcome aboard!

The "sticky bolt syndrome" could be caused by cosmoline that is still stuck in the chamber and/or bolt locking recesses. Make sure they are clean (it's easy to miss, so don't feel bad if you find more hiding in there). Also, some ammunition can cause this; primarily lacquered ammo, as the lacquer coating heats up and gets sticky. As for the sights, you're lucky, actually. Most Mosins tend to shoot high. It's easier to file off a little of the sight post than it is to add to it, as IJ has described.

Tell your wife it could be worse. These are probably one of the cheapest surplus rifles you can get. Show her the prices of some old Winchester lever rifles and see if she understands. Okay, I'm married and I know better......;)

Regards,

John

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,975 Posts
don't file any off the front sight. because you might use some different ammo next time, and if it shoots higher then you'll be pissed you took some off.

just raise rear ladder sight to 200 or 300. Its not like you're ever going to use the 2000 meter mark anyways.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Clusters and Swords
1,595 Posts
don't file any off the front sight. because you might use some different ammo next time, and if it shoots higher then you'll be pissed you took some off.

just raise rear ladder sight to 200 or 300. Its not like you're ever going to use the 2000 meter mark anyways.
Try different ammo before you do anything to your rifle, there are many different makers and your problem may go away or change with just this simple fix, it's always a good idea with new firearms anyway to see what shoots best out of each and every one, mostly no two are exactly alike, almost like women. LOL!!!!!!!!

I had the same problem with yellow tipped (sticking bolt) I believe Bulgarian ammo that came in paper bags with strings around them.

I shot the same 91/30 and and a Finnish VKT M39 at the same target shooting session with I believe Chech. ammo that came in green paper boxes and did not have the problem at all, it seemed to me and my son that the prior ammo casings were swelling thus causing the shell extraction to be very difficult, Please understand that l am not an expert but the yellow tipped ammo we shot was noticeably more powerful, kicked harder and may have been heavy ball.

As for your sight issues I'll leave that to the experts here, Bill.

·
Registered
22 Posts
First of all welcome ,as far as the rifle shooting at a different point of aim ,these rifles were sighted at the arsenal with the bayonets attached for the Russian military manual stated that bayonets are to be on at all times except when in transportation the bayonets affect the harmonics of the bullets 2nd these old rifles were in storage for 50 plus years and you have dried up old cosimoline in the chamber that is what we call the sticky bolt syndrome what I do is use a 20 gauge brass shotgun brush and a piece of a cheap cleaning rod and chuck it in a drill and use either bore blaster or CLP gun oil and put it on the brush and some in the chamber and start off slowly for about 30 seconds at a time and wipe out the chamber until it shines then I take my set up to the range and shoot the rifle until it starts to stick a little and clean again until it works like butter DO NOT USE ANY POLISHING COMPOUND you only want to get the dried up cosmoline and not take any metal off the chamber I have had that happen to me when I bought my first mosin BTW be careful the breed like rabbits you will come down with mosinitus just my 2 cents

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,089 Posts
No, don't file the sights! I think it may be your shooting technique. Death grip on right hand stock??

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Maybe I spoke too soon.:sorry: The others are right to tell you to try different ammo first. However, I should also point out that you're already shooting better groups than a lot of people on this forum claim these rifles to be capable of,on average, and all of this on your first time out with one. By all means, test different ammo (which I usually preach to everyone, but it slipped my mind, this time). But, if it still prints low, or you can't get another flavor of ammo to group as well as this one, I don't think there's anything wrong with taking down the front sight, especially if you prefer to have your point of impact in cohesion with your rear sight setting.

The most important thing is; post pictures of your rifle!;):)

John

·
Silver Bullet member
187 Posts
Welcome to the Boards AZ Vet.
Good advice about the sticky bolt. Try to stay away from the Lacquered cased ammo and you should be fine. I shoot at Rio Salado in the East Valley. I may be there tomorrow if I don't have too many jobs at the Casa.
Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK......Thanks for all the comments and advice.

First of all I have been shooting lacquered ammo. Second, I took the rifle back to the garage again this afternoon to inspect the chamber. The bore of the barrel is mirror like with good rifling, the chamber is black. I scrubbed/brushed and did it some more, the chamber is still black. I can't tell if it is burnt cosmo. or not. My patches are clean after using, Windex and Hoppe #9. I will get some bore blaster this week and do the drill thing before going to the range next weekend.

No more lacquered ammo either. The rifle is just too nice not to spend some time with it to make it right once again. I love it. :)

Once again, thanks to all who took the time to answer questions from a newbie.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.