Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've always loved the look of the No.1 MkIII rifles, and picked one up at a gunshow today.

Unfortunately, it is a bit devoid of the marking that I wanted to know most: the year of original manufacture.

It has a GR crown overstamped with a GRI/P flag, that seems to indicate Indian origin. The SI's on various parts seem to back this up. Unfortunately, there is no buttsocket crest, merely a "No.1.MK.III FR 45" on the left side, and nothing at all on the right. I guess this is a factory rebuild in 1945 in India, right?

It has all numbers matching, S/N 13047 Y. Any idea on the year of manufacture? It was advertised as a 1917 Enfield, but it doesn't look like that's correct, as Ishapore didn't build any Enfields in 1917 (~1916, 1920+ right?)

I guess I'm a little miffed that my rifle doesn't appear to be a WWI era one, as illogical as that sounds. It is a III*, definitely (no cut off), and obviously before 1945 if it was rearsenaled then. Anything to narrow that down?

On a side note, it looks to be a rifle that once had the tropical protective paint coating, but has very little left. Just enough that it looks like it was dipped in mud.

Other markings on my rifle:

BNP barrel and receiver proofs, caliber/pressure information, and a lone '15' on the portion of the receiver underneath the bolt handle.

Any idea on the history of my gun?

Thanks!

-mike

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
G'day Mike.
I'll let some of the more knowledgable members help you out with your questions but suffice to say that you are now completely buggered! Once you get one you must get another , and another etc etc. You wont be able to help yourself!!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
It was advertised as a 1917 Enfield, but it doesn't look like that's correct, as Ishapore didn't build any Enfields in 1917 (~1916, 1920+ right?)
Did you ask the seller why it was advertised as a 1917 Enfield ? A 1917 Enfield could also mean a No1 MkIII* manufactured at the RSAF (Royal Small Arms Factory) at Enfield. If the original crown stamp has GR (Georgius Rex) under it then it wasn't produced in India, they used the stamp GRI (Georgius Rex Imperator)
Ishapore commenced production of the SMLE in 1907 or 1908. They produced the SMLE from then up until they changed the calibre to 7.62mm and started calling it the 2A/2A1.
And for all we know they are still producing it, a very secretive lot the Indians.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Unfortunately, not only are they a secretive lot...they're also very good at scrubbing all of the old markings from rifles they gave the full FR (FTR) treatment to. The best that you can hope for is that there's an original inspector's view mark somewhere on it so you can at least figure out who made the old girl.

Any marks on the barrel?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
that was my thought as well , she was scrubbed and it may still be visible with magnifier , there may be a barrel date the guy used to date it , it may have some other mark he used for hjis statement , but its definetly remarked by india at refurb on left socket

1 - 5 of 5 Posts