Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I decided to buy a canon kit. Nothing huge or intimidating, it shoots a .69 cal ball, 11.5" barrel length.

The Canon is 99% finished, and I'm getting anxious to try it out. I've researched loading/re-loading and cleaning techniques, charge amts and Black Powder. But where I'm unsure is when it comes to shooting a salute charge. And honestly this canon will be mostly used this way.

How much paper/or cardboard do you pack into the barrel? I'm guessing 2" but until I know for sure it's not gonna happen. The mfg states load amt's of BP at 55-85 grains.

Thought you might want to see a pic, and sorry for not adding something to the photo for scale. Overall length is approx 13.5 inches. If anyone here is planning to do something similar, I would be glad to share my experiences in putting this canon together. Although not 100% accurate, the canon is fashioned after a USS Constitution's lower deck carriage gun.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
877 Posts
Well, in effect you will be shooting a .69 Caliber single shot pistol equivalent.

Suggest you start with 35 Grains of FFg and work your way up from there.

A small amount of aluminum foil will suffice for wadding. Suggest you stay away from cloth or paper wadding because there is the possibility that cloth or paper will catch fire when the cannon is fired, so you will definitely have a fire hazard downrange.

Good Luck

·
Silver Bullet member
5,580 Posts
Just a word - these little cannons recoil, even with a blank charge, since there, in effect, a barrel obstruction in the form of the aluminum foil wadding. With a ball the recoil can be substantial, so have a means of controlling it sorted out. Imagine that .69cal pistol lying on a smooth surface and being fired....your cannon is on wheels.

tac

1 - 4 of 4 Posts