Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a few questions as I've been seein these things on this board often and have been tryin to understand but having a hard time.

What is single stack/double stack/triple stack?????

Milled/demilled reciver?

MAADI/AK-47/74/WASR???? whats the diff???

I'm sure I'll have more but this is most often and stuck in my brain.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
single stack: magazine holds cartridges in a single vertical column (stack) mag is only wide enough to fit 1 cartridge into
double stack: magazine holds cartridges in a staggered column (stack) mag is wide enough to accept these two cartridges
triple stack: a hamburger from Wendys (seriously I've never heard a triple stack mag of any kind)

milled rec'ver: milled from one solid block of steel
demilled: cut by torch or by saw into such condition that it can not operate
stamped receiver: stamped from sheet metal template and assembled usually with rivets.

ak-74 5.45x39 version of the AK
ak-47 7.62x39 version

google maadi and wasr...better yet go to gunbroker and do a search you will see the various manufactures and styles of rec'vers/rifles.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Wow you are having a hard time ;)

Single stack means it takes a narrow low capacity magazine of either 5 or 10 rounds. This is how the Romanian AK's are imported and then Century Arms the importer opens up the magazine well on most of them and adds enough U.S. made parts to meet BATF regulations before selling.

Double stack means they take standard AK magazines.

Some AK's have a receiver milled from solid steel, most are currently made from stamped sheet metal.

Demilled means the receiver has been destroyed.

MAADI is a Egyptian AK.

WASR is a Romanian

AK-47 is 7.62x39

AK-74 is 5.45x39

EDIT: after typing all that I see someone beat me with the info.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
yeah, i'm still looking for one of those elusive triple stacks. :D

G

·
yeah, i'm still looking for one of those elusive triple stacks. :D
Like the poster above said .Wendys triple stack hamburger ..Yum !

Actualy there is a triple stack ak74 mag ,Its russian made and I think its still experimental .The receiver is still cut as standard ak 74 mag well . It does exist .

·
Banned
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my ooops on the triple stacks, thought I heard that on here.

thanx for the info, I'm sure I'll have more questions later...............

I'm still trying to decide whether or not to get an AK or AK variant. I have an SKS and love to shoot it and its fairly easy to strip and clean.

Are AK's as easy to strip and clean?

Operation on the AK and SKS is very closely related, right?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
A couple have made it to the US. And one fellow has a few of the magazine bodies but no springs, followers, or floorplates.

There's a few airsoft companies that sell a decent fake quad-stack magazine. Good for folks wanting that "ultimate collector" look.

·
Registered
918 Posts
.... Operation on the AK and SKS is very closely related, right?
nope, quite different actually. -- plenty of info concerning the various auto-loading designs out there if you look.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
TractorB, get the AK while you can, you won't regret it unless prices drop, which i doubt.

G

·
A couple have made it to the US. And one fellow has a few of the magazine bodies but no springs, followers, or floorplates.

There's a few airsoft companies that sell a decent fake quad-stack magazine. Good for folks wanting that "ultimate collector" look.
I have heard that from another source that someone was able to get one without guts . I have my relative in Chechnya trying to get one to me . I was able to get a black RPK74 mag from there early last year .Its hard to get things out now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
TractorBoy: Stick around here, read up on the posts, and you'll be amazed at the info that will fall into your head. A year or so ago, I had no idea about most of the various AKs out there, but after some time here playing catch-up, I was able to come across a good deal on a Norinco MAK-90 (Chinese-made AK variant) in great shape for $400 out the door - and I was able to realize that that was a good deal!

I've been very happy with that rifle, and with the levels of info I've picked up on this site.

There are lots of AKs out there to choose from, and some are better than others. The Maadi (Egyptian) models seem to be held in quite high regard, the Norinco (Chinese) seem to get some respect, the WASR seems to get good and bad, depending on who you talk to. I've heard some say that WASR stands for "What A Shi**y Rifle", but others love theirs. I don't own one, and never have, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't grab one at the right price. Right now, they seem to be hovering around $500, which may seem high considering that a year ago you could pick 'em up for $400 or so (but about 3 years ago they were around $250), so $500 for a decent AK variant ain't bad from where I sit.

There's also the Saiga line that's worth looking into. They're better made than you might expect (I've put over 1000 rounds through my Saiga 7.62x39 without a problem) and cheaper than you might think. Prices are around $300 these days.

Stick around, ask questions, and read, read, read. You'll find out almost anything you want to know in order to be able to find the right rifle for you. And then you can start looking for the NEXT one. :)

Mike

·
Registered
843 Posts
Okay: And in case you've checked back on your post again, here are a few tidbits of info to add to your nascent Encyclopedia Kalashnikova. The AK-47 (Avtomat Kalashnikova - 47) was made with a solid steel receiver. The term AK-47 is thrown around a lot -- by pretty much everyone -- but technically it only applies to the original 1947 design made to mil spec (not later or semi-auto variants). M.T. Kalashnikov (an interesting guy, who was once nearly arrested for trying to refurbish an old Browning pistol when he was a kid) -- anyway -- Kalashnikov re-designed the gun in the 1960s (I want to say around 1964). He made it a lot faster and cheaper to manufacture and a bit lighter by making the receiver out of a sheet metal stamping riveted to blocks of key machined steel parts (like the barrel trunnion). This version is the AKM (A.K. Modernizirovanii). Semi-auto only versions of the AKM are by far the most common rifles of this family encountered here in the US. The AK-74 is essentially an AKM re-designed for a high velocity .22 caliber (5.45mm) cartridge adopted by the Soviets in response to the 5.56 NATO. Kalashnikov himself thought this cartridge was a silly keeping up with the Joneses kind of thing, but, hey -- what the heck. The Soviets stayed serious about the ballistic advantages once attributed to the 5.56 NATO by the way -- and to this day the Russians have quite a number of application-specific bullet designs for this cartridge (the 5.45X39mm). The AK-74 also sported a muzzle brake. This is counter-intuitive for US military thinking, as the flash and blast signatures degrade low light utility and punish the shooters' ears. But it does increase controllability in rapid strings of fire. There is an important variant of the AK-74 that is often referred to as the AK-74U. It is a short-barreled rifle with a folding stock and a distinctive flash suppressor (definitely needed on this shorty). The flash suppressor is not a Kalashnikov design. Krinkov designed it -- and for some odd reason this gun is commonly referred to in the US as a Krinkov, or, Krink. The AK-74U is very popular with Russian border patrolmen, police officers, and others doing a lot of riding around in vehicles and involved in urban combat. The cartridge was designed from the outset to work well in this subcompact assault rifle (a good example of the kind of long-term thinking notably absent from our military industrial complex). The AKs have continued to evolve. There are many, many military versions, and there are many semi-auto only Kalashnikov variants here in the US. Quality of these US Kalashnikovs varies widely, but fortunately the design is so good that almost any of them can be made decent with a bit of tinkering if they are sub-par. Kalashinikov designed quite a number of guns and other devises, by the way. I believe his first on record was a recoil-powered round counter for tanks (he was a WWII tank commander before the Krauts wounded him). This devise was used to keep track of the rounds fired so the tank barrels could be replaced before accuracy became a practical problem. Anyway. Interesting guy. An NRA Life Member, by the way. Very nearly nipped in the bud by Soviet gun control laws.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts