Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally overcame my feelings about 5.56 (except when the military gives me one) and bought a Rock River. I see on the web all of these nifty new tools for cleaning up the weapons (NC Star M-16 Multi-tool, CJ Weps Mk-16 Tool). The question is this: Are any of these worth the money? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
you don't need a multi-tool to clean with. i thought you were Xmilitary. a rod, patch, brush, borecleaner , lube, and mayv=be a pack of pipe cleaners is about all you need. i don't clean mine that much. multitools are used for barrel and stocks removal/install.

G

·
Add a bore snake the list along with a few spare parts. Gas rings for the bolt, spare firing ping and maybe the jesus pin. the biggest problem I had maintenance wise was replacing the the gas tube after a few k of wolf ammo. Fouled the gas tube out pretty bad. Chamber brush is a big help too. What model did you get? Pics?

Copes has good deals on mags of several flavors with a 7.95 flat shipping.

Jim

·
Gold Bullet member
785 Posts
I agree you don't really need any special tools to keep the AR running. However, I might consider this bolt scraper/polisher tool from G&G Tools: http://www.gngtools.com/
I like the concept of the CJ Weps combi tool...it would be nice to have all those tool functions in one place, but it looks a bit unwieldy to me. The tool freak in me says buy it, but it's too expensive for something I don't really need for maintaining my ARs. Amtraker, congrats on your RR. Have fun with it.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you don't need a multi-tool to clean with. i thought you were Xmilitary. a rod, patch, brush, borecleaner , lube, and mayv=be a pack of pipe cleaners is about all you need. i don't clean mine that much. multitools are used for barrel and stocks removal/install.
I am retired mil Falm. These new toys seem to have all the little gadgets to clean the hard to reach spaces that Q Tips, pipe cleaners and the little green brush used to clean. I'm just wondering if it's worth the investment.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Add a bore snake the list along with a few spare parts. Gas rings for the bolt, spare firing ping and maybe the jesus pin. the biggest problem I had maintenance wise was replacing the the gas tube after a few k of wolf ammo. Fouled the gas tube out pretty bad. Chamber brush is a big help too. What model did you get? Pics?

Copes has good deals on mags of several flavors with a 7.95 flat shipping.

Jim
I bought the Operator, as the price is going to go up on 15 Apr. I already have a Bore Snake for every caliber I shoot. I'll keep in mind your comment about the Wolf Ammo and the gas tube. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts