Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My second (first being an M24) Civil Guard rifle came in today. This is my first M28, and it was built on a 1915 Tula receiver.

Floor Tile Wall Flagstone Flooring
Wood Wall Flagstone Tree Roof
Gun Trigger Shotgun Air gun
Gun Trigger Finger Revolver
Gun Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood

The stock has two small repaired splits on the handguard and one repaired section on the stock. I don't know if these were arsenal repairs or done after importation. Unusually, the District Number rather than the serial number is stamped on the bolt, and I don't know very much about these rifles so I don't know if this is normal or not.

Shotgun Wood
Wood Metal
Tool Titanium

The screws on this rifle were fairly buggered up (they could have been worse) and the rear band was TIGHT. I was a little scared of taking the rifle down because i didn't want to risk damaging it.

I've got some questions and some more pics to go with the questions that I'll ask in the next post.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here come the questions:

What are these numbers on the bottom of the barrel?

Shotgun Muffler

The bolt has parts with the Chaterllerault shielded L and the Remington circled R, but the bolt body has an M mark on one side of the body and a Z on the other. What do these mean? Isn't the M a NEW mark?

Tool Metalworking hand tool Steel Antique tool Metal
Air gun Tool

Also, there's a B in the receiver and I have no idea what it means:

Gun Shotgun Trigger Air gun

And lastly, what are these numbers underneath the buttplate? I couldn't get a decent pic but they read DRK 397 64 83

Longboard

Thank you all for looking and for answering any questions that I have!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good so far! Always like the rifles that have the nice patina and good character on the stock. One I would seek more than a mint one. Maybe its just me, but that's how I like them!
I'm a big fan of M28's.. Very nice rifle OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you both!

That's how I like them too. My M24 has pretty much no bluing left and the Russian stock it's in is absolutely beat, but I think the rifle is beautiful. It's so beat it makes this rifle look brand new! :laugh:

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I wonder if the 18 is a possible German depot mark of some kind? The butt plate must have come from another rifle. Looks like a secret hiding hole for the silver bullet for Hitler or Stalin. Guess the rifle never made it close enough! haha

Looks like your cat isn't taking care of your mouse problem either lol ;)

The more I look, the more I like it! Recently displaced from Western WA. I sure miss it! Now I see what I'm missing back home! Where abouts are you, if you can say?

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Unusually, the District Number rather than the serial number is stamped on the bolt, and I don't know very much about these rifles so I don't know if this is normal or not.
For the Finnish Army (SA) force matched bolt this is completely normal. The original m/28 bolt had two (sometimes three) last digits of the serial number (18 that is) stamped to the bolt knob and the full S number (or S97370) to the bolt flat.

And lastly, what does the 18 stamped on the buttplate mean?
I wonder if the 18 is a possible German depot mark of some kind? The butt plate must have come from another rifle.
The rifle serial number is 25118. Therefore "18" on the buttplate means that it is original for this rifle.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
CH said:
The rifle serial number is 25118. Therefore "18" on the buttplate means that it is original for this rifle.
+1 congrats on getting an original M28! Keep her that way.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder if the 18 is a possible German depot mark of some kind? The butt plate must have come from another rifle. Looks like a secret hiding hole for the silver bullet for Hitler or Stalin. Guess the rifle never made it close enough! haha

Looks like your cat isn't taking care of your mouse problem either lol ;)

The more I look, the more I like it! Recently displaced from Western WA. I sure miss it! Now I see what I'm missing back home! Where abouts are you, if you can say?
The cat kept attacking my feet when I was stripping the rifle so I got his mouse out to distract him haha.

I am born and raised on Whidbey Island.

For the Finnish Army (SA) force matched bolt this is completely normal. The original m/28 bolt had two (sometimes three) last digits of the serial number (18 that is) stamped to the bolt knob and the full S number (or S97370) to the bolt flat.

The knob on this rifle doesn't have any markings on it, but it's kind of a "duh" moment for me about the buttplate. I should have noticed that.

+1 congrats on getting an original M28! Keep her that way.
It took a while to find the exact one I wanted (an original with a Tikka barrel) and I'm very happy with this one. This rifle is probably the most comfortable of the four Finnish rifles that I have. I like how it feels as thin as an M91 without being nearly as long.

I actually just contacted a local gunsmith to drill and tap the rifle to make a neat deer rifle. I figured it wouldn't damage it too much... I'm kidding. I bought this rifle with the sole intent of keeping it the way it is for as long as I possibly can keep it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plus it seems it's original down to the handguard. Nice!

I feel like a dork for not putting two and two together about the buttplate and the handguard haha. It entirely spaced my mind. In all honesty I was pretty excited to take it home, take some pics, and post a rifle on here for the first time, so I blame all of you for my error;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Was down around the Oly/Lacey/Tumwater area myself. Sure do miss it. Not the traffic, especially for this long holiday weekend, but miss back home! And my cat too! Straight from the Klingon Empire.
Honestly I never make my way down that far south or to the city very much in general.

Pretty nice m/28! Its definitely got a lot going for it with it having it's original stock, being a Tikka, and also having the nice, war-worn look to it.
Thank you! I'm sure you'll be seeing it again ;)

Very nice M28, one of my fav's like the M27. Wonderful example. I swore off of M28s as I have a number of them. Then last year two more showed up. Just can't stop! Congrats on a great M28. Regards, John.
Thank you as well! I know what you mean because Finns keep showing up at my house with no place else to stay.

I did notice that the front sight was drifted pretty far to the left, and I thought that was weird because of M28s having fixed front sights, and upon further inspection it seems like the whole barrel is rotated just a hair counter clockwise. At first I thought it was just that the rear sight was slightly bent, but it's the whole barrel. Notice that the rear sight is slightly "twisted" looking even though the ladder itself is perfectly straight, and it doesn't line up exactly evenly with the handguard. I wonder if this was the Finns' way of compensating for the barrel or if this was done by just some guy at home, and I wonder if the rifle was a "dud" for the Finns :(

Revolver Airsoft Rim Tripod Airsoft gun
Auto part Rim Metal
Shotgun Wood
Wire Cable Metal

I mean I like it either way, but it is a little disheartening.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
If it were a "dud" the Finns would have disassembled it and recycled the good parts.

Often, on most any rifle barrel, the outside diameter and the inside diameter are not always parallel, and this is very noticable with longer barrel'd rifles. Ive seen 1917 Enfeilds, and Chines SKS rifles that had that 'twisted look.... yet they were spot on accurate. The front sight base being ever so slightly "right" due to a bad turn on the lathe, a bad solder/pin job by the assembly worker, a badly made front sight assembly, ect...so the front sight blade is drifted "left"

To see if its a bent barrel, look down the bore at a bright light and look for uneven shadowing, it will be noticble, but if not, your most likely dealing with a bore being sighted down an outside diameter that isnt concentric with the inside diameter bore, yet shootable, sightable and enough so that it passed accuracy tests and was accepted.

Youll know right away when you go to shoot it :D I bet its spot on with a bit of a '6'oclock' hold.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,616 Posts
Can't say how often on MN rifles, but when you screw on new or used barrels on used receivers sometime they don't index perfectly. For a gunsmith there are tricks to take care of the problem. But in a case like this the armorer may have just indexed the barrel to make it work and wasn't worried about a "slight twist". Function and accuracy more important. I know with used M1 Garand and M14 barrels you sometimes need to roll or peen the shoulder of the barrel so you get the right indexing along with correct torque when installing barrels. As Caribou mentioned it very well may be very accurate just like it is. Hadn't noticed this on any of my Finns, but being that I don't shoot many of them they didn't get examined that closely that I would of noticed unless glaringly twisted. Regards, John.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.