Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!
I just bought this off gunbroker. Seller states bore is strong but a little dirty. Seems to be an easy rifle to make a good shooter. And for 110, why not? Just would like some thoughts and opinions on where to go with this. I will most likely have the bolt straightened one way or another, as it isnt that bent and matches. What about the sling swivels and buttplate? The seller tells me there are no other numbers on this particular rifle that he can find. Whats a good book on the Type 99? I'm ordering Honeycutts book on Japanese firearms when money from a sold rifle clears up in a couple days. Now that I have shooters in both 6,5 and 7,7 I will begin to get nice safe queens. Any advice on where to start, aside from reference material? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=418112198

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Well it was a "double thick" buttplate stock. That started out as an early stock that was rejected and then used later. That's why the rear swivel slot is filled. You will probably find two drain holes filled and a square cleaning rod hole filled.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Honeycutts book is a good one, it will show you variations and stampings to look for when you want to verify a rifle you want is correct in detail. The Japanese type 99 rifle book by Don Voigt is great but out of print, but they come up for sale now and then. Sling swivels I have for sale on GB and ebay. Ihave seen repro wood buttplates for sale, but cant remember where. Someone else on this forum may be able to help. Good Buy.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,341 Posts
Big Ed didn't mention if that's the stock that should be on it (He's much more knowledgeable than I). If it is, and you are handy with wood, it shouldn't be too hard to make a new double butt plate. A complete rear band and rear sling swivel shouldn't be difficult to find. Don Schlickman straightens bolt handles. If the bore turns out good, I'd say you did fine. (They just aren't making these any more)

Dean (the other one)

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Big Ed didn't mention if that's the stock that should be on it (He's much more knowledgeable than I). If it is, and you are handy with wood, it shouldn't be too hard to make a new double butt plate. A complete rear band and rear sling swivel shouldn't be difficult to find. Don Schlickman straightens bolt handles. If the bore turns out good, I'd say you did fine. (They just aren't making these any more)

Dean (the other one)
Yes it is the correct stock. This serial number range in the 34th series is where they show up. I had a real nice one I sold to A-dogs. Maybe he still has it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the great info! By double thickness, i assume you mean the buttplate was twice as thick? Not wide? As in the stock itself isn't twice as thick at the butt? I'm handy when I have access to tools. What wood is correct or similar? And what about finish? It looks to be an orangeish shellac to me. The name Don Voigt sounds familiar. Is he a member here?
Thank you all for the information.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,341 Posts
Take the old butt plate off, and trace the outline on a piece of paper so you have a pattern for the new one. (Should be held on by three nails, unless Buford pulled them and glued the butt plate on to "make it better".) The top and bottom of the butt plate are probably the original thickness. (I don't know if they used two pieces or one that was twice as thick. I don't have one to "stare and compare".)

I made a replacement wood butt plate out of scrap wood that was close to the type and grain of the stock. Stain to match the stock. I used satin lacquer to finish it.

Dean (the other one)

·
Gold Bullet member
1,341 Posts
See if it's two pieces nailed together, or one thick piece. I would think the top and bottom of the existing buttplate were close to the original thickness. (Buford, bubba's cousin, dished out the center of the butt plate) It was flat across when it left the factory. It should be held on by three nails. I duplicated the nail hole locations on my replacement. I used nails as close to the original that I could find.

Dean (the other one)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems easy enough. My only concern is duplicating finish color. I'm not particularly good at duplicating finish. I'm not too concerned though since its just a shooter.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the rifle in hand now. Mum is barely ground bolt does match. The stock is a two piece. The Screws are actually still staked in place. I was pretty surprised at that. The bore is strong and fairly bright. The butt appears to have actually had a butt plate installed as there are holes from the screws still present. The rifle is overall nice and I look forward to restoring it a bit. Does any one know how to get a hold of Don S for bolt straightening?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.