Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well sorta....TOZ 18 in .22. Set up for a scope very similar to the PU system. The base is a bit different...one pin and two screws (no recoil).
These are/were Tula made I've read and makes a great little sniper trainer. I believe they als had a rear mount kind of SVT style and a 2.5 power scope.
Should be a lot of fun (but not for the local ground squirrels).....

·
Gold Bullet member
3,083 Posts
That is a way cool .22; I was torn about buying that when posted and went back and forth! Glad you picked it up; very interested in a range report. My Toz 9 seems to be more accurate than I can hold at 60yds with the iron sights.

PA

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
They are nice little rifles and extremely accurate with good ammo. I used to shoot one in back in school in Russia. Except for we used the irons, no scopes. That trigger guard looks a bit strange. I don’t think it’s original. Original is more round and don’t have square corners. Anyways congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pavlin...the TOZ 17 has that style trigger guard that is also longer, I have Toz 17 stock and it is exact except for that....this is the original TOZ 18 stock to the rifle and still has the hand painted arms room numbering painted on the butt stock (you can see that in red). The cut outs for the scope base are lacquered like the rest of the stock.
If you look here....search TOZ 18 you'll see both styles..

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=toz+18&FORM=HDRSC2

·
Silver Bullet member
53,437 Posts
First I’ve seen..

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd not noticed them either until one was advertised here for sale....here is the base...very much like the PU but made for teh .22 caliber so no lock screws and only one forward recoil pin into the reciever.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Reiver maybe you are right. I guess there are two versions. It’s just that I remember back from school days we had round trigger guard ion our rifles. Anyways here’s mine 17 and 18

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pavlin...very cool...shot it this evening in the wash...sweet...my neighbor was horseback crossing my property and almost got dumped....we laughed about it tho.

Looked at the bolt....what is the sequence to dis assemble that bolt....looks a bit complex with the pins.

·
Administrator
8,733 Posts
The original scope set up on the Toz was similar to a PU, but the mount was not as tall. They are very hard to find so most people substitute the regular PU mount and scope as with this one.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The original scope set up on the Toz was similar to a PU, but the mount was not as tall. They are very hard to find so most people substitute the regular PU mount and scope as with this one.
That is not the regular PU mount...take a good look at it ...the one pin....no locking screws and smaller attaching screws...and the thumb screw is set differently.

·
Administrator
8,733 Posts
That is not the regular PU mount...take a good look at it ...the one pin....no locking screws and smaller attaching screws...and the thumb screw is set differently.
The base is what you are talking about, i am talking about the mount and scope.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Looked at the bolt....what is the sequence to dis assemble that bolt....looks a bit complex with the pins.
Reiver we never really took them apart in school. We were told just to pull it out of the rifle, wipe it with a rag and oil. Couple of passes with oiled patch through the bore. I guess Soviet/Russian .22 ammo was pretty clean))) That's all there was to it.
Taking apart and cleaning Margolin pistol which we also shot was a whole different story.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reiver we never really took them apart in school. We were told just to pull it out of the rifle, wipe it with a rag and oil. Couple of passes with oiled patch through the bore. I guess Soviet/Russian .22 ammo was pretty clean))) That's all there was to it.
Taking apart and cleaning Margolin pistol which we also shot was a whole different story.
Mine looks spotless so there is probably no real need...with no primer fowling they are hardly exposed to anything at all and the bolt 'parts' are easily oiled thru the separated elements. Thanks tho.

Did you shoot them in Russia with the PU scope of the 2.5x …..

·
Registered
981 Posts
What a great find. I too was not aware of these. I enjoy my 22lr's. They are alot of fun to shoot and effective hunting and/or self defense tools. These have a interesting historical aspect to them, making them all the more intriguing to me. I bet it's a pleasure to shoot. Look forward to more range pics on down the road. Thanks for sharing. Nice post sir.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Did you shoot them in Russia with the PU scope of the 2.5x …..
Nope. That would be too fancy lol. Just the irons at 50 meters

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nope. That would be too fancy lol. Just the irons at 50 meters

Shot it today...sweet...that TOZ is seriously over designed when it comes to sturdiness....has a bolt tho and hammer strike like a high powered Mosin. Great fun with the PU scope.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts