Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received a service grade Garand from the CMP and have a question. I have an A stamped below the serial number on the receiver. What does that indicate?

Here are some other paticulars. TE-3 MW-1.5 / GAW stock / 1952 barrel date with all SA parts except the op rod and rear sight, as far as my knowledge goes anyway. All in all very happy. The stock is in pretty good shape except for 2 major dings that I wont be able to steam out. Can not wait to get this one to the range.
Thanks for any help.
Jason

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The A stamp signifies a duplicate serial number. There are several blocks of serial numbers that have been duplicated within Springfield Armory and Winchester Repeating Arms M1 Rifle production during WW2. The Springfield Armory rifle with this serial number was produced first, and Winchester produced a rifle with this serial number in April-May 1945, a so-called "WIN-13".

That is a very nice George A Woody stock... it looks fine, and if I owned that rifle, I would let the dents be. Compressions can be steamed out, but any broken wood fibers can't be fixed, and evidence of the dent will remain.

·
Copper Bullet member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do plan to keep the stock but would like to get another to use while at the range, dont want to lose the cartouche on this one, lol. Thanks for the info.
Jason

1 - 5 of 5 Posts