1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Silver Bullet member
2,605 Posts
Can't help wonder where they get their money. Gotta give them an A for effort, but Russia's annual GDP is roughly comparable with what NY states' was before the financianl crisis. Suppose that they would gladly sell them to the Iranians or Venezuala. Can't imagine they would make any more difference than Saddam's Mig-29s did.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
First flight is more than 3 years behind schedule. The T-50, the prototype for the Sukhoi PAK FA, does not appear to have all the stealth features of the F-35, let alone the more stealthy F-22. Production plans for the Russian AF are very uncertain, minimal, and this does not appear to be a solid production aircraft, more of a make-work and keep up the technological capability project. http://en.rian.ru/russia/20100617/159464671.html

Its only possible future is for export to the wealthier anti-US countries.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
It'll have whatever the customer will pay for, i.e. not much since the planes will be more for chest pounding symbolism than actual combat.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Not sure that can't be said about the F-22 with some justice....
I think the F-22 was more a case of anticipating requirements that never matured. If the Cold War had continued I suspect the F-22 would have been built in large numbers. Once the government started the development program it never ended; inertia is a prime motivator in government bureaucracies.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,496 Posts
I think the F-22 was more a case of anticipating requirements that never matured. If the Cold War had continued I suspect the F-22 would have been built in large numbers. Once the government started the development program it never ended; inertia is a prime motivator in government bureaucracies.
ROFLMAO!!!! :grin::grin::grin:

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,496 Posts
Not sure that can't be said about the F-22 with some justice....
With some of the ground crew comments I hear from folk at Nellis that is very true. One PO'd guy from the flight line made some crack about one of his guys being referred to the mental doc as he claimed to have seen a flight ready F-22 with no squawks. Clearly delusional.....;)

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
The F-22 was designed around operating over the missile belt in East Germany and producing air superiority there. A must to defeat the USSR in a conventional European war. With the end of the Cold War its mission ended.

And development programs for all aircraft NEVER end, not because of governmental inertia but because stuff always starts breaking as they age and because its much cheaper to upgrade an existing aircraft than build an all new one. They get engineering changes and major upgrades up until a couple years before they are towed out to the desert. A few times, thanks to the lead time on upgrade/rebuid contracts running into more immediate budget cutting, they've been rolled off the end of the rework line at a contractor onto trailers and driven direct to the Boneyard. This is considered highly embarassing and the service and company photographers never seem to be around when that happens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts