Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked up a ruby today at a gunshow, and couldn't find a reference to the maker on the search function here. it's in great shape, frame and slide match s/n's. at some point, it was re-blued and the frame and slide were restamped with the number 135, both were placed directly below the original s/n's.
the maker's logo on the slide is "VESTA CAL 7.65 HIJOS DE A ECHEVERRIA EIBAR". the original s/n is 108,5xx. can y'all tell me who echeverria was, and about when this pistol might have been made, or even when refurbed? below is a pic of the pistol, couldn't get a clear pic of the slide logo.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
This was one of the WWI vintage Ruby pistols. It was made by the firm of Angel Echeverria (Hijos de A. Echeverria). It seems the Echeverria family were involved in several different handgun firms in the Eibar region during that period, the most well known being Bonifacio Echeverria (Star). The serial number on your pistol falls late in WWI, so around mid 1916 to 1917. The later number restamped could be a post-WWI French unit reissue. The blue job on your pistol appears to be a much more recent, post-import job.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ruby Pistol

Picked up this pistol in France in 2007. It was in relic condition, having been dug up in a field near St Marie du Mont, Normandy. At the time I did not know what it was and I have been searching to find out what it actually is and have finally worked out that it is a Spanish 7.65 made by the firm of Angel Echeverria, thanks to this forum!! As you can see, the gun is poor condition and the only marks other than the visible bits of the name on the slide are the numbers YA936 which are stamped on the inside rear of the top slide. What do these mean?

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
Those would be a factory assembly code number. Matching numbers (or at least the last 3 digits of the number) would have been on the barrel and frame also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have recently aquired my deceased grandfathers WWII "souvenirs" including a handgun and several knives. The gun i am interested in finding out more about (history?, circa?, value?...although I will never sell it) is a ruby handgun i believe. It is labelled "VESTA" 7.65 CAL Hijos de A Echeverria - EIBAR. serial number 137849 both on the stock and the slide. It also has a marking of HE with a circle around it. Can you please tell me a bit about it.
Thank You,

ps...the gun also comes with the holster...i beleive it too be original but have no clue...has extra clip holder embedded in holster and strat fits perfect!

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,303 Posts
The link in gunboards.com for information on these pistols got messed up during the transition of the new software, I will have to ask Bob to re-open it up to re-edit it again but I do have another link to the information .....
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=20090
This will answer alot of questions on these pistols
Patrick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts