Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited tis 98k from my father. The Manufacturer of the rifle is Gustloff Werke, Weimar, according to the code(BCD 4). Just curious about the rifle. What can you tell me about it that I might not know. I can snap any pictures you might need. It looks like it was sporterized on the cheap. I'm thinking of making a shooter out of it. Since it has already been taken out it's original state, I'd like to convert it the right way. Thoughts? Comments?

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
It can be put back to military config, which is what I would do if it were mine.
If you just have to have a sportered k98, sell that one to a collector and modify a total mis-matched rifle.
Here are some pictures of my BCD4 that looked just about like yours before I restored it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
if the bolt matchs and grandpa didnt tap the rceiver its definatly a great candidate for retoration

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
I have to go with micmacman, there are few enough of these fine old rifles around, and I think all efforts should be applied towards keeping them as original as possible.
Seems like every gunshow I visit has k98's that have already been drilled and tapped for a scope AND these are mostly priced at $250/$300!
It's your rifle and of course you can do what you want with it, but if you knew how hard a lot of us guys on this forum search for and try to preserve and restore them, you might change your mind.
I for one would love the chance to restore it...

·
Registered
581 Posts
heres a 1940 erma i restored. whats there is all matching. got it for $299. Threw a erma norwegian captured stock on it, found a original sling and original cleaning rod. I get self satisfaction knowing I preserved it from being any more neglected.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!
Is that a Norse stock set? It looks great.
One added benefit of a resto is that you can handle it and perhaps take her to the range and not live in fear of picking up a ding or some handling wear.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Dad's bringback

This was my Dad's that he took new out of the crate in a German warehouse. It is all matching except for the stock. This is a Norwegian stock also that I put some Behr 600 on. Since the picture I have knocked the sheen down with some 0000 steel wool. The rifle is a dou. 44 with matching bolt and supposed to be an original 44 sling. Hope the picture comes thru.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!
Is that a Norse stock set? It looks great.
One added benefit of a resto is that you can handle it and perhaps take her to the range and not live in fear of picking up a ding or some handling wear.

Its a Ostsee stock. I forget the numbers offhand but the takedown disk is marked O.####. the wood is marked WaA280, but unfortunately the upper and lower band are WaA37 and dont match the stock. Its a good stock untill i find a better one.

·
Gold Bullet member
500 Posts
That's what I've been trying to find, a 1940 rifle in the proper trim. I just got an RC 237 1940 Berlin-Lubecker rifle, totally mismatched parts and would like to return it to an accurate configuration. It has a Weimar marked bolt, a cupped butt plate, nonhooded front site, a milled rear barrel band and a stamped/welded front band, an excellent barrel, milled trigger guard and magazine floor plate. THunter's pics give me some guidance, Thanks TH.

Anyone have similar pics of a 237 1940 Lubecker that is in issued condition, equipped with all the correct parts? Could someone advise me on what I should be looking and trading for to bring it back to original issue specs?

Another question, would the serial number I found stamped in the stock, under the barrel, be the correct SN for the stock? I know the original SN was stamped on the stock butt by the Germans and then sanded off by the ruskies (the deep sanded gouge is apparent) with the "matching receiver SN, stamped there by the ruskies.

·
Gold Bullet member
625 Posts
Anyone have similar pics of a 237 1940 Lubecker that is in issued condition, equipped with all the correct parts? Could someone advise me on what I should be looking and trading for to bring it back to original issue specs?
I don't have the disk with me at the moment so I don't know if that exact year/maker is on the disk, but for reference photos I highly recommend Bob in Ohio's CDROM of K98 images http://bobinohio.com/TheCollection.html

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
i got a 237 40 in 8mm\06. trade???
yea its still doable. im sure a person would trade ya a worse mismatch and say 100 ish.
is the bolt matching? any photos of the gun apart? trigger guard?
willing to take a offer? i know there are some folks here would trade a prestne bore rc for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts