Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the Colt Police Positive 38 Special (barrel marking) for the wife (she saw and handled it and liked it, i told her I'd get it for her, she was surprised today, thought I'd been kidding). Serial on frame at crane cut-out below barrel and on crane (111488), Colt Hartford address on top of barrel, rampant Colt on left side plate, black hard rubber grips with Colt in oval. About 60-70% high polish blue on frame, barrel and cylinder more wear. Very thin, fine drag line. In perfect time and locks tight. Nice little piece that seems to fit her well. Very nice, smooth trigger - the did fit them up carefully in the old days. I'd say it has been carried quite a bit, shot less..

·
100,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, some are and I need to put out a table and the copy stand and take some. Shall try to do that realsoonnow..

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Clyde would that SSN make it a "First Issue" of about 1915 vintage? Other than chambering, are the"Special" models different from the ordinary Police Positive such as heavier frames? Looking forward to pix...

·
100,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clyde would that SSN make it a "First Issue" of about 1915 vintage? Other than chambering, are the"Special" models different from the ordinary Police Positive such as heavier frames? Looking forward to pix...
At first blush, yes. But there ought to be patent dates on barrel from some of the descriptions I have. The Police Positive Special has a longer frame (length of frame opening, to accommodate longer cylinder) as they were chambered in 32-20 and 38 Special instead of 32 NP or 38 NP (Colt versions of 32 S&W Long and 38 S&W). Frame was the basis for the Bankers Special and Detective Special when they were introduced.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Sounds like she has good taste and knows what she likes. Good on you.

·
100,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like she has good taste and knows what she likes. Good on you.
I have always thought so. How I ever got her to fall for me remains a mystery, but one I am happy with and have been for nearly 40 years now (No. 40 August 24th). Mystery to others as well, it seems - while she was the hospital librarian I dropped in to see her, and one of the nurses asked " Who was that man who came by?" and when told I was Carlie's husband said "How did she manage to get him?" Apparently she (the nurse) thought I was a right handsome dog...

·
100,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Member since '69 and don't know how to post pics??? :eek:
Actually much more recent than that - there was a software update a while back and join date became - what is shown.

I am curst near computer illiterate, and that is just the way it is. "Push button A, expect result B to appear", so to speak.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ah, that explains why I thought there was so many "Old farts" around here. :laugh:
And I wasn't just born yesterday either but still.
I work with computers everyday, mostly drawings but do some programming too.
Liked guns all my life but didn't have resources to own many until about the last 10-15 years.
Been into carry guns for several years now that they are easier to get permits for.
I still can't afford to "collect" for the sake of collecting,
so I buy mostly what I can shoot and possibly resell some day.
Probably why I don't have no money! :)

Actually much more recent than that - there was a software update a while back and join date became - what is shown.

I am curst near computer illiterate, and that is just the way it is. "Push button A, expect result B to appear", so to speak.

·
PlatinumBullet Member
18,950 Posts
Member since '69 and don't know how to post pics??? :eek:
Find a hosting site. I use Image Shack. I just upload pics to the site and then can copy and paste on the forum.
Like this. A pic of my little Rossi 357:

I just copied and pasted it here.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
First Clyde and by all means, a very sincere congratulations on that upcoming fortieth anniversary. A great and noble event!

I also await photos of the "new arrival", IF CONVENIENT.

Below are several of my photos of my sole Colt Police Positive in ".38". Produced in 1940, I don't see the notation in my XL spreadsheet, but as I recall it's un 38 S&W.

Yet again not to diminish the real message of this post.
Enviable Congratulations on four super decades and that...
My absolute take!

Attachments

·
PlatinumBullet Member
18,950 Posts
First Clyde and by all means, a very sincere congratulations on that upcoming fortieth anniversary. A great and noble event!

I also await photos of the "new arrival", IF CONVENIENT.

Below are several of my photos of my sole Colt Police Positive in ".38". Produced in 1940, I don't see the notation in my XL spreadsheet, but as I recall it's un 38 S&W.

Yet again not to diminish the real message of this post.
Enviable Congratulations on four super decades and that...
My absolute take!
Nice pistola iskra.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.