Gunboards Forums banner

New PU sniper on the way. UPDATE I picked her up today.

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  meyerse 
#1 · (Edited)
Took a chance on this one. Photos weren't the best; an email from the seller indicates a scope number on the barrel shank and the importer added serial number on the receiver. They also stated the import mark was on the end of the barrel and the mount looked milled. Does anyone know if the Century repros date back to the earlier import markings on the end of the barrel other than the Finned 91/30s they butchered? I figure for the price I couldn't get burned too bad.

PAshutr3

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=170020834

UPDATE: I picked her up today. Looks like a legit 1944 Izhevsk PU sniper to me. No refurb marks on the stock or metal but she wears a 1943 dated scope that is not the first she has seen. All stamped matching, excellent bore and she was pretty close to dead on as she came. I did a quick swab of the bore, tightened the screws and headed for the range. After the first shot was NOT on the paper at 50yds I pulled my head out and checked the range setting on the scope to find it set at 700 meters. After returning it to the lowest setting I was an inch high for elevation and a hair to the right. A couple of back and forth small adjustments to the windage and I was pretty close to being on. Unfortunately a thunderstorm was moving in quick and I only got a chance to fire 3 rounds at 100yds. I wound up with 2 rounds touching and 1 round about 3 inches low; most likely the second round fired as a wind gust picked up and the second shot felt rushed. I hope to get it back to the range tomorrow for more serious work. I posted some pics at the end of the tread.

PA

See less See more
#4 ·
I've had my eye on that one too but just don't have the disposable income at the moment. I think you got a super deal!!

#5 ·
Thanks guys, it looked like an early CAI import of a refurbed PU sniper so I took a chance. I will post a report when it arrives.

PAshutr3

#7 ·
Did pretty darn good on that one :)

#8 ·
Pics below.

Attachments

#10 ·
Thanks Mike, I was very happy with what I saw when I walked into my dealers. I still have to pull the scope off to check the back of the mount for markings. This one seemed to miss the ep'd numbers on the mount and is the second refurbed 44 Izhevsk PU sniper I have picked up that way.

PAshutr3

#16 ·
Thanks guys, I only wish it would quit raining so I could get it back to the range.

trainsktg,

There have been a few really good deals on snipers over the past year or so; but as most people on a budget I can't get them all (this one makes 3 in the last year) and I had to pass on two other legit snipers; both of which sold for $500.00. One was an R-Guns import and the other was an early CAI import. I almost passed on this one but kept telling myself a few years from now I will be kicking myself for passing on any legit PU sniper priced this low. Now if I could find a 42 and 43 Tula I could quit buying them........maybe.:)

PAshutr3

#18 ·
You did good, in the worst case senario you have a rescoped original sniper that has original optics. Well worth the money. Optics go for almost $400 a set now. I find that 1944 models have a higher accuracy potential that earlier years. I have one that I use for demonstrative purposes when qualifying and training my men. I shoot against them at falling targets starting at 200 meters then take them out to longer ranges until I start smoking them (we use m-4's), gives them a little insite into the diminishing returns of the 14.5" m-4 versus a 7.62 scoped rifle the longer the ranges get, I think it's pretty eye opening for most.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.