Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to get opinions from board members on certain newer pistols we're not allowed up here in the great white north, specifically the FN FNP / Browning Pro series, the Sig Pro, the Beretta PX4 and the Taurus 24/7.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I'll register a negative opinion on the FNP just from the standpoint that you can't get the factory armor piercing ammunition the pistol was specifically built to fire. You have to get by with the "practice" ammunition. Hollowpoints, etc.

But with the non-AP ammo, you are basically shooting a hi-cap pistol with the stopping power of a .32 Magnum and ammunition that costs $40 a box or more.

No thanks.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
The new Browning Pro .45 is a great handling pistol. Far superior to the Glock 21 and the equal of the M&P 45.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
The new Browning Pro .45 is a great handling pistol. Far superior to the Glock 21 and the equal of the M&P 45.
I own a number of Glocks, but they aren't my favorite. I'm curious why you feel the Browning and M&P are far superior to the Glock.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
JB - I have owned eleven Glocks and feel that the FN and M&P are superior primarily in the areas of ergonomics, triggers, sights and safety features.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'll register a negative opinion on the FNP just from the standpoint that you can't get the factory armor piercing ammunition the pistol was specifically built to fire. You have to get by with the "practice" ammunition. Hollowpoints, etc.

But with the non-AP ammo, you are basically shooting a hi-cap pistol with the stopping power of a .32 Magnum and ammunition that costs $40 a box or more.

No thanks.
I think you are talking about the FN Five Seven not FNP.
FNP is a great gun but a little big for my liking.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Sig Pro: At first I was sceptical. CDNN had a sale on some very nice custom Sig Pro pistols last year. I purchased a couple and discovered the same Sig Quality in a lighter and slightly easier to carry package.

Beretta PX4: A little pricey, there is one at the shop that I haven't got to shoot yet. Looks like a good piece. This past two or three years have been good for Berettas QC. Fit and finish is much better than the past.

Taurus 24/7: The cheapest or best value of this small group of pistols (depending on your point of view) This pistol is not as nice as the prior two IMHO, but it is a great value and has been an excellent seller this year.
I have only sent one in for warranty repair.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I can only speak for the 24/47 in 9mm. My wife bought one shortly after thay came out. Worst trigger of any thing I have shot. Lousy sights, front sight had to be glued in (kept falling off). Accuracy was lousy 4-5 inches at 7yds ( my wife shoots 1" groups off hand at 7yds with all 3 of her sigs 226,220,245). The metal that is in the polymer frame pulled out slightly which stops all function of the pistol. We were lucky the slide never flew off. Taurus had it 7-8 months did not fix it. Sold it to a dealer for $100.00. My wife loves her Sigs, I like 1911's but I would highly recommend any of the XD's. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have looked at a lot of pistols due to my smaller grip-sized hands.I have an M&P in
9mm and love it.I considered a PX4,but it was about $80.00 more,but,when I get a
.40 S&W cal. pistol,make mine a PX4.Due to changeable grip size backstrap and
it's double action/single action.The M&P is double action only.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,705 Posts
I love my XD45. You cant go wrong with a Sig 229 or a Kimber.
My main carry gun for the last 6 or 7 years has been Sig 229, .357 power and the only jam I ever had was with reload which was not resized properly, if at all, it was too fat to enter chamber....
I don't know what it was fired in but it could not be pushed into the chambers of 4 different
.357 Sig caliber pistols, 2 Sigs, XD, and Steyr.......not the fault of my Sig to be sure......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts